Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life In Waa Waa
Carol,
Yours was a lite attack (lite trolling) digging on my current residence as in “poo pooing” my personal experience and information gathering with many present residents. Kathy is misinterpreting/making false comments on what I have stated. Your friend is special because if most had been robbed 3 times and once at gun point in 30 years they would move and not a one would laugh about security proposals. The fact that he sounds to still be there is testament to something else, making him again, special. Why hasn’t he moved?

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.

"Bullwinkle... Tisk Tisk, I thought you more enterprising than that.
We run entire manufacturing plants from solar power today.
I see no humor in AC use off-grid and deeply pitty your past experience therein."

experience versus theory hmmmmmmmmmm?

Ya know we all tried to help out here ,,,, time to stop feeding the troll in my opinion

Good night gentle people
Bullwinkle,
Theory?
Edited addition>>>> Don't get wrong; I've a great deal of admiration for your living choices and such, you sound like great person<<<<
LOL. You yourself already said your experience was applying too great of load to inverters. They don't become saturated and or puncture/melt the dielectric/insulator through correct use. What sort of breakers were you using and what were their ratings? Was there adiquate ventilation for the coils in a dry enviroment? If you want to call that "experience"; go right ahead, many folks have experience burning themselves with matches but I certainly wouldn't label them as experienced firemen.
No Bullwinkle I’ve studied and applied electrical engineering effectively in the real world as well as other physics related disciplines. If you ever want to tap toes on the subjects - feel free.
When it comes to theory, we would cite something like tapping Zero Point Energy as theory. There’s no theory in using solar energy to produce thermal cooling. It’s an application in energy transference and it has been pulled off in many ways for thousands of years. To keep it on the up and up, here’s some backing on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_air_conditioning

You may or may not note that dehumidification is a relatively simple process using solar energy. That’s something that within Hawaii can be used alone to help keep ones home more comfortable and free from mold. I know that many homes would benefit greatly from such systems.

BTW… I have studied and worked with these disciplines because they are very useful in building and development engineering.

Anyhow - Had enough mediocrity for several days and all I tried to do was answer Jakes question but once again, I get bush whacked and encounter innuendo.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.I’ve had enough mediocrity for one day.
Alright Kathy,
Listen... what I meant was that the predominate bug is the mosquito. "THE BUG IN THIS CASE is none other than the mosquito." Honestly; do you think anyone would be stating there are no other bugs in Waa Waa? Can’t you simply perhaps revaluate the meaning to be something other than one thing, keep it in context this is Waa Waa; why is it all or nothing at all? You already stated prior to my post about other bugs. It's like I have to read your post before I write something because if I omit anything that you previously said or don't back it 100% you're going to differ with what I write. I mean seriously Kathy (what’s up with that?), I had no Idea what you wrote, I didn't read it, I read Jakes question then answered. Then I turn around and see... duh... the only bug? For *&^%%$ sakes Kathy; is THE BUG mosquito not enough to put a damn screen up? Obviously there are other bugs.

Kathy, I (mis?)- read the mosquito quote the same as you and paused to think on it. Could go either way I guess but no other bugs were mentioned so that tilts it a bit.

"Predominantly in the Summer" is a good one too.

"You already stated prior to my post about other bugs. It's like I have to read your post before I write something because if I omit anything that you previously said or don't back it 100% you're going to differ with what I write. I mean seriously Kathy (what’s up with that?), I had no Idea what you wrote, I didn't read it,..."

W. Are you stating you are or not reading Kathys posts now ?

Amen Carol.

aloha,
pog ( waa waa lover )

Strong winds don't blow all too long. I feel them weakening.
This is referencing those lots in Waa Waa not along the beach with good wind exposure.
Jake if you go screen house... water recirculation on your roof would be a good idea. The IR transmission through a composite or single layer roof accompanied by the screen blocking the intermittent light breezes induces a rather uncomfortable atmosphere during the summer. The winter may be alright, I’ve yet to be in Waa Waa for that, I would assume its fine though. It is possible to acclimate but it will come at a cost, it will mean slowing way down (I noticed this a great deal in all the Waa Waa residents I spoke with, they may not be aware of it) and I don’t mean regular Hawaii Big Island slow, I mean additionally slow.
All the homes I lived in out in Hawaii were fine without AC, but Waa Waa can really get tough if your place isn’t set up for it . When we got back to Leilani Estates, be it for lunch or whatever, it was much cooler. In Waa Waa because of the humidity and relative still air, sweating is not very effective at cooling in the summer. I would liken it to Arizona on a 100+ degree day, though it may only be 80 in Waa Waa. One morning we had 78 in Waa Waa and it was extremely uncomfortable, yet Leilani was 82 and fine. The next day in Waa Waa it was 84 and cooler feeling than the day before. Humidity is really odd out there and can be amplified by rainfall/ground moisture and its evaporation. It’s not unlike most jungle type environments. I experienced this when living in La Placita, Michoacan, Mexico also.
So when I say it’s different than many other parts of Hawaii, I mean just that, which evidently is something that many in Puna are not aware of by reading some of the snide remarks concerning AC. So keep in mind Jungle type environment and not typical in the breeze or higher elevations Hawaii.

Added:
Near as I can figure.
Waa Waa - full of gulches, gullies, grooves; gullied, furrowed, grooved. Desolate, uninhabited.

If you're up for the challenge; there's Waa Waa.
Perfect? Depends on what you're after.

Pog... that's 2

"it will mean slowing way down (I noticed this a great deal in all the Waa Waa residents I spoke with, they may not be aware of it) and I don’t mean regular Hawaii Big Island slow, I mean additionally slow."

I would opine its the Old Hawaiian way you were talking about. Not as much the heat index.

aloha,
pog

can't see the forest for the trees

Pog... perhaps a pinch of both.
I don't really know yet, but within the people you can tell, life is harder and simpler(Oxymoron) - yet more peacefull.
Just our short time there, I felt it and not just from the clearing activity.
I also like it, but that's not something everyone would like.
Outside Waa Waa is seemingly another world.

Jungle Man, I'm sorry if my question about air conditioning
was taken as a "snide remark", it wasn't meant that way.

I wouldn't mind having airco in one room but it
would be more to prevent mould on clothes than for
cooling purposes. I like the sound of solar-powered air
conditioning, I hope it's something that becomes widely
available.

I'd like to see this mythical Land of Waa Waa which is
completely different from any other place, even neighbouring
subdivisions, not only in flora and fauna but also climate,
but what you said earlier about burglars being caught
"before they even get near a house" doesn't sound
too promising!

Good luck to you.