Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slugs in Catchment
Do you know whether Mayor Billy has county water available? Most of the upper Puna areas do not.
I'm actually happy with catchment, it's one of the reasons I came to Puna. Water has been something people have been fighting over in the western and southern states forever. And the civilized world doesn't avoid catchment because that is what's used everywhere. It's just called a lake and is fed by streams and rivers. Surface water supplies most big cities although some do use wells too. My grandfathers well in central California was 12' deep. My first one there in 89' was 160' and my last one on the same property was at 400'. The water did taste pretty good but when tested it had traces of numerous minerals in it, supposedly below some allowable limit. The problem is there just isn't enough for everyone and it's getting harder to find enough every year.
Most of the drinking water in Los Angeles gets there from rainfall several hundred miles away. Through lakes and streams with not only fish and other wildlife sharing it but but with farms and cities directing their runoff into it. So the city has big filters, and big UV systems, and big tanks of various chemicals that when used together provide water that most folks think is healthy. For myself, I decided that I wanted do take care of that myself, on a smaller scale of course. I'm on the grid and I see that UV treatment would be difficult if I was counting on PV power.
It's a personal choice and of course requires that I pay attention to it rather than just open the faucet and expect to see water.
And when I do see the occasional coqui floating I just skim it out, but I confess that I don't usually mention it to my wife.

Jay
Jay
I'm with Jay. Most of the world including most of the US gets water from surface sources that are less clean than a roof. I also think that much can be done to make catchment systems fairly clean in the first place but from the condition of many catchment systems I have seen people generally don't put in the effort and attention to detail to get the most out of said efforts. Frankly the majority of covers that I have seen on catchments do nothing except provide a place for birds to stand while bathing. I am referring to a piece of shade cloth draped over the top of a tank and tied with clothesline. Usually there are pipes that run up over the lip of the tank that guarantee that even a tightly tied cover wont seal out things that can crawl. There are lots of such details that need to be done right but that are usually given a token effort only.

Put in all the bells and whistles required and make sure the installation and maintenance is done right and I would drink it.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Smith

Do you know whether Mayor Billy has county water available? Most of the upper Puna areas do not.

It is my understanding that county water is available at a reasonable distance away.He would have been required to run in a water line.I guess his application was approved in July.

One more,although small,subdivision approved without services.He is providing lots for his children,but was going to sell at least one lot to provide for the children' s education.

In Kapoho they are taking a hard line and make everyone hook up.
I'm trying to figure out how to work through or around some of the problems we will face ahead of our arrival. I was just wondering if this other thread might apply or be useful here as well? http://punaweb.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9311 At least as far as the rat lung disease may be concerned. Hmm.
quote:
It is my understanding that county water is available at a reasonable distance away.

The article about Kenoi's application for a waiver said county water is more than a mile from his property. Would you consider that a reasonable distance?
I'm not a big Kenoi political fan, and I don't think any strings were pulled. Other families in similar circumstances have been given waivers to use catchment.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Smith

quote:
It is my understanding that county water is available at a reasonable distance away.

The article about Kenoi's application for a waiver said county water is more than a mile from his property. Would you consider that a reasonable distance?

Yes I would.

We had to run a line just about that far.He should go together with his neighbors and form a water association to get it done.

We the people need to pick up the slack and get done what our government failed to do.

Oh wait !! He is the government and he gets a free ride now !
So those of us who maintain our catchments in a sanitary manner should have to go on county water because there are morons who fail to maintain their systems. NOT I have no desire whatsoever to pay county rates and subsidize idiots who can't maintain a catchment. I have already paid for my system and will fight any effort to make us pay for county water. No need for it and a monthly drain on our resources. Just one more example of someone who thinks their opinions should become law.

dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"