Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lampshade cleaning
Anyone have experience with cleaning cloth lampshades? Beginning to see mildew/mold appearing. As well what to do to protect them from future growth? Thanks for your help.

*edit correct spelling of lampshade
Aloha Lokahi: We spray with Lysol Mold and Mildew formulation. Helps for ahwile. Eventually found nice fabric and recovered. Good for another 5 years or so...

-dwajs
-dwajs
My Husband swears by Vinegar and water mixture. He goes around everyday with the squirt bottle spraying everything that has mold. And I have to tell you it actually works!

Good Luck
Morningstar
I put them in the shower, and spray them with a 20% bleach solution plus some soap and then rinse. Then set them out in the sun to dry quickly. Eventually the metal rusts and they need to be replaced, but that at least takes care of the yuck stuff!

Jane
Jane, I really like your idea. Sounds like a winner!

Carrie
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Home Depot sells a product called Concorbium, a mold preventer. You can buy a squirt bottle or rent a fogger machine and do the whole house at once. Works for me.

I use a dehumidifier on a timer for half hour every other day when humidity is extra high.

Dan
Thank you everyone for your kokua and suggestions.