Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aloha! from Tejas
Howdy Folks ! My sweetheart and I are moving to the area and we do not know anyone on the island. I am an artist and jewelry maker., She is an elementary school teacher. ( a great one in imho ) We have been here in Texas for much to long , niether of us are very comfortable being this landlocked. ( I have not cast a net in many years ) I am wondering if I should ship our van over or if we should buy something else upon our arrival . She does not know which school that she will be teaching at yet , so that seem to complicate finding a place to rent. We Love You !!! Happy Day and Mahalo to all !!! Skot & Jamie
Willkomen, bienvenue, welcome! Whether or not to ship your van depends on the value and how attached to it you may be. Shipping cost is obviously less from the West Coast, and I think someone here on Punaweb recently shipped their HHR from there for about $1000. If your van isn't a big commercial one, the cost should be comparable. New and used vehicles tend to cost more here than on the mainland, but you can easily find prices on line. It could easily be worth shipping a low mileage van. Hawaii will even give you credit for the unused period of your Texas registration when you transfer it.

Where are you in Texas? I am a native Texan who has lived on the Big Island for seven years now. Some parts of Texas are much, much nicer than others. Some parts approach hell on earth. I visit several times a year and actually enjoy it for the most part. It's fun to watch my Mama shoot rattlesnakes off her back patio with a chrome plated 410. Sometimes I join in. You'll have to register your guns here. They're funny about that, but it's easy enough.
Thank you for the kind welcome. I am of the mind to send the van on Matson , they gave me a decent price and have decent reviews. We are currently in San Marcos . It's a small college town just south of Austin . It's beautiful here just not the place for us . Even S.M. seems like HELL in the summer with unrelenting heat with no rain. Have not encountered any Rattlers or Horned Toads in years. I believe they were hit by fire ants. I am not so much into hunting so I am selling most of the firearms before we leave. I hardly ever make it to the range and its a pain enough keeping them nice without dealing with salty air and humidity. I do know firsthand that guns can be a powerful magnet for " bad energy ". Where did you live in Texas ?
My home town is Stephenville, and I have also lived in Castroville and Austin. (UT grad, BA '73, MS '75.) I'm from a ranching family, but lived in Atlanta for almost 20 years before moving here. San Marcos is nice enough by Texas standards. I never understood why they put two state universities so close together in such a huge state, but then their politicians have never been too swift. The heat never bothered me much, but I didn't know any better. If it hits 90 here, it makes the front page of the newspaper. Does your sweetheart even know which side of the Big Island she will be teaching on? There are profound differences!
Did your SO find a job already? And from the mainland? That would be pretty impressive. I do know that elementary teaching jobs are pretty scarce. Laupahoehoe elementary was just converted to a charter shcol and the teachers there were assigned to various schools around the area making it harder for those looking for a job.
Best of luck to you both. And welcome.
She does not know what school she will be at yet . The D.O.E. is sending recruiters to the mainland to fill positions in geographically isolated areas. The complexes listed on the Big Island that they are recruiting for are : Kea'au , Pahoa and Ka'u. I think a lot of it has to do with the Race To The Top as well as attempting to meet the criteria for No Child Left Behind. She is considered level two according to her qualifications, and is willing to go where her services can make a difference and where there is the most need for improvement. Happy Day !
Why would the DOE recruit teachers from the mainland when there are out of work teachers on the Hawaii island and probably Oahu as well?
quote:
Originally posted by Susan

Why would the DOE recruit teachers from the mainland when there are out of work teachers on the Hawaii island and probably Oahu as well?

Cross pollination.
In the past they have recruited to areas and schools that many teachers would prefer not to work at,,it was fairly commom in Nanakuli/ Waianae area on Oahu...difficult ares for locals to teach let alone someone fresh from mainland
quote:
Originally posted by SkotPhrea

Thank you for the kind welcome. I am of the mind to send the van on Matson , they gave me a decent price and have decent reviews. We are currently in San Marcos . It's a small college town just south of Austin . It's beautiful here just not the place for us . Even S.M. seems like HELL in the summer with unrelenting heat with no rain. Have not encountered any Rattlers or Horned Toads in years. I believe they were hit by fire ants. I am not so much into hunting so I am selling most of the firearms before we leave. I hardly ever make it to the range and its a pain enough keeping them nice without dealing with salty air and humidity. I do know firsthand that guns can be a powerful magnet for " bad energy ". Where did you live in Texas ?

I choose to be happy. :-)