Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SouthWest Airlines
Like a lot of folks,I've been upset by the strangle hold on airfares that Hawaiian Airlines has.Since losing Aloha Airlines it has been tough to get affordable inter island fares.I try to keep up with aviation and in particular,airlines.Recently I read that SouthWest had taken over Airtran and was having trouble finding a place to use the Boeing 717's that were part of that.Knowing that Hawaiian Airlines uses the 717,it made me wonder,could we get Southwest to consider coming to Hawaii.SouthWest has publicly said that they are interested in expanding service and included Hawaii in that plan.So,being the activist that I am,I contacted SouthWest and asked them to consider coming here to compete with Hawaiian.They responded very quickly and said they are considering it and appreciated my asking them.I think if a lot of people will take the time to go on Southwest's website and send them a plea to come here,it might actually happen.Wouldn't it be nice to have lower fares and FREE checked bags again.Hope you all will get inspired to help make this happen.
Southwest follows a different business model than most airlines, including Hawaiian, so what they may or may not do is likely to be quirky. They are indeed in the process of getting certified for overwater flights, and the 717 is an efficient and well-sized aircraft for the interisland market. The 717 is not, to my knowledge, certifiable for trans-oceanic use, so they might end up using those for interisland and 737s for mainland. Southwest began in the 1970's by doing a triangle of flights between Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, distances comparable to Hilo-Honolulu. So they have the equipment and a history of intra-state short haul transport in their blood. It would be a blessing if they come to Hawaii, unlike the arrival of go! which was a successful attempt to kill Aloha. That bit of throat cutting didn't do go! a whole lot of good though, as their business has been stagnant or even dropping since they quit offering money-losing fares. I'll add my two cents and send Southwest an email.

Edited to add: Fuel prices being as high as they are, fares will reflect them by necessity. Real competition will still have a positive effect on pricing, though. Southwest would be real competition for Hawaiian.
I saw this article on Beat of Hawaii last week regarding Southwest:

http://beatofhawaii.com/update-southwest...i-service/
There has been talk in the industry about this ever since the ata / southwest code share.

I talked with an southwest pilot about this - his was an empathetic "no" sounded like it came from the pilots association - not the individual -

It will be interesting to see how they use the new etop aircraft (cancun for instance)

Flying to Cancun doesn't require an etops aircraft.They fly there from ATL with the 717 now.
los angeles or bay area to cancun may require etops to cross the gulf... (as would the pacific crossing to Hawaii)

its a fair hop to cancun with limited airport support... that was the scuttlebut.... seems to me the route already saturated

It only takes a few minutes to get on SouthWest's website and send a comment.I think if they hear from enough people they may be more inspired to make the jump to Hawaii service.The old saying,"the squeaky wheel gets the grease",comes to mind.Let's flood them with emails and see what happens.Gotta think positively!!!
Done.

Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone is engaged in some kind of strudel."
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
I think at the present time,SWA is gagging on their swallowing of Air Tran !

It might be a little while before they will expand into a new market !

They have had etops aircraft for a while, all of the NG Boeings are etops 180 rated ,SWA has had 737-700's for quite a few years.
This a huge step to start up an etops operation.The aircraft have to be kind of segregated ,etops aircraft can only be worked on by etops certified mechanics.
Alaska air also expanding presence with low fares- that's why my HA burning and crashing.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska-air...00046.html