Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hotels in oahu with kamaaina rates
I am going to oahu in near future does anybody know of good place to stay? I will be visting someone in the state hospital. So it doesnt have be on the ocean just somewhere to slept thats is clean and doesnt charge a arm and leg for parking. thanks

jrw
jrw
Pacific Beach Hotel on Kalakaua used to be good kamaina rates,,nice place across the street from beach...there are small cheap hotels behind the Hyatt regency also..but I don't know the names
Ala Moana used to be good. Location is nice for a non Waikiki trip. ParkIng is overpriced though.

A lot of people who stay for medical reasons choose the Pagoda. It used to have the rep of a dump, but is under new ownership and I guess they are trying to make it better.

Which one is the state hospital?
Thanks for ideas.The state hospital is the mental one

jrw
jrw
Do NOT stay at the Pagoda. Our first and last time was on 3/23. It really IS a dump. Definitely NOT clean. Check Kayak to compare prices.

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

The Aqua on Prince Kuhio. Great rates, nice rooms
Pacific Beach is nice that it is close to the zoo and park and on the ocean front.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I stay in moderately priced hotels in Honolulu pretty often for professional development trainings, often the people in charge of the program have put us up at the Aqua hotels, and the Aqua chain has been pretty inconsistent in terms of service and cleanliness, especially cleanliness. Once my toilet was clogged with visible fecal matter and it took them 5 hours to send a guy to plunge and snake it out. The maid had put the little paper strip on the toilet seat, even though you could see the massive amount of poop in the bowl.

The last time I stayed at the Queen Kapiolani for the same price and it was so much nicer than any of the Aquas had been. The only down side was no in room internet and the lobby signal was spotty. Everything else was much nicer than anywhere else we'd been put up for the same price. I would love to stay there again for a mini vacation.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I think it's Aqua that has taken over the Pagoda, and is going to manage the new Volcano House.

Thanks for the Pagoda verification, kanilehua. I was afraid of that.
From what I've read, the annex is still pretty bad and they are fixing up the main building. Is the main building still a dump? My insurance wants me to stay there in the future, and I don't want to.

Ala Moana is nice for the price.

I don't know where the mental hospital is.
ed to add, it's the one in Kaneohe? (or Ewa?)

It seems easier to get to the windward side (IMHO) driving from Honolulu proper rather that Waikiki, taking Pali Hwy.
Sorry to hear about the Aqua. MY wife and I stayed there two years ago and it was nice. Newly redone room and good view and nice staff. Maybe it depends on which one. Yes, they got the lease on Volcano House and now I am worried they will not do a good job. They will also have other concessions in the park.