Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CU Hawaii?
I have used CU Hawaii for 7 years, but have just had a very odd thing happen. I wrote a check that got a $20 fee added...because a wrote the check to a non-member, and there was a 2 day hold placed on the check, but it cleared in 1 day, so I was charged for the credit union clearing a check that they had placed a hold on....

I talked to 2 different personnel, & they stated that this was THEIR internal policy & that I can have the fee reversed by requesting it, but there was nothing in their system to automatically clear the fee! (they both stated that this has happened to other members....)

Has this happened to anyone else??? esp. at another banking system, as the answer we have gotten does not seem to make a lot of sense to us, & we may not stay with CU Hawaii, unless this is a normal practice by other banks
I've been with them for 6 years and that has NEVER happened to me.
I write checks to non-members all the time!

mary blonde
Live Aloha
Same here. This is a new one. I'll have to remember to hold onto the check for 2 days or mail it from Timbuktu.
Never happened to me in 7 months with CU HI or anywhere else, for that matter.

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
After calling & talking to a number of people I did get this response emailed
"This fee was mistakenly charged in the first place. The helds fund automatically was charged because of the hold that was placed on the check for a non-member cashing a members draft. Upon the check clearing on May 30, 2012 the hold should’ve been removed, but it wasn’t. Our current process when cashing a CU Hawaii draft for a non-member is to place that check on hold until it clears the account. When the check comes through for clearing all or any holds in reference to this check should be removed."

BTW: CU Hawaii is the only Credit Union in Keaau that places a member check on hold if it is cashed by a non-member & the hold is from when the credit union RECEIVES the check, not when the check was written...
We use CUH also and haven't had this happen, but I can tell you that on the last day of the month, you are limited to 200, on your debit card and a 100 dollar cash withdrawl at their ATM. Lesson here, don't try to use your debit card at Costco on the last day of the month.

dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
That's why we kept our out of state credit union when we moved here. We don't have limits like that. Unfortuneately "none" of the credit unions in Hilo/Puna area are affiliated with the "shared banking" concept that hundreds of mainland banks use for the convenience of their customers who travel. I myself am a member of Alaska USA credit union and the closest "shared bank" where I can withdrawl and depost funds is in Honakaka...or Kona.
We've been with CU Hawaii since 2004. I've threatened to switch a few times over clerical errors, but it's such a pain to do so that I've never followed through. That said, I ALWAYS check my receipts before pulling away. The latest mistake they made was I deposited a VERY LARGE check from a client into our business account. This client just happened to also have a CU Hawaii account. The clerk mistakenly deposited the client's check BACK into their own account, rather than ours despite having a clearly labeled deposit slip. Luckily I caught it right away. I like the friendliness of the bank, but I don't like that I have to watch my deposits and accounts so carefully. Just my 2 cents.
I use a mainland CU for most of my transactions but have the CU Hawaii for writing local checks when needed which is rare!
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
New here & opened account with CU Hawaii because it is convenient & much prefer credit unions to banks. I am very disappointed in their member services. From refusing to verify funds from my Alaska credit union, thereby keeping us totally broke for MORE than 2 weeks, to getting annoyed when I tried to trade coins for cash, to the fact that at the Keaau branch you can't interract directly with the teller and can only have something notarized by appointment, then the notary is sighing like this was the most onerous of tasks...I would like to change to another convenient credit union. Any ideas? I don't want to have to go into Hilo every time I need to do something.

1 island 2 another
1 island 2 another