Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electrical Contractor
Has anyone worked with the electrical contractor Roy McCormick at "Royal Hawaiian Electric? He seems very professional and has submitted a bid to install new electrical service from street to house. He is requesting payment in full before proceeding. Is this typical?

Haysmer
no it is not, maybe 40 to 50% down balance when job completed
I would never pay anyone in full before they perform this kind of work. And it is definitely not typical.
Roy McCormick has a valid electricians license, but his business trademark has expired since 1994.

http://hbe.ehawaii.gov/documents/trade.html?fileNumber=162387ZZ&certificate=162387&view=info

http://pvl.ehawaii.gov/pvlsearch/app?_a=d&_f=n&lictp=CT&licno=18884&off=&nm=ROY%20W%20MCCORMICK%20JR
I've never paid more than cost of supplies up front, sometimes furnishing them myself if I can find a better deal than they can. If you hold the payment hostage until the job is complete, it is more likely to get done on time.
That is a very valid point about payment hostage, but here, either way, you may end up with a job dragging on for months....we are now in a 3-season electrical job, one season for the building dept. & 2 season have been waiting for the whims of the contractor & his assistant to show up.

I would recommend all to have a completion clause if you do mind waiting months & months & months...... what you can do to speed up the building dept. is beyond my comprehension.... as I doubt voting will change their way of life....
I am not sure about the laws in Hawaii, but this is not common practice and in California it is illegal.
BTW, "jerry", here on PW, did my electrical work and I can recommend him highly.

Dan
I don't hire contractors anymore on the east side. It may cost alittle more to hire from the kona side...but they usually can get a permit in 2 weeks....and they show up when their suppose too!
I would second Jerry @ MSW Electric. Great Guy!
No matter WHO you hire, and no matter how many recommend them, and how great they are, make sure that you have a completion clause on your contract AND that you get itemized & hourly billing.

We did go with a HIGHLY recommended licensed electrician here, and are 9 months into an upgrade service project - 3 months with our walls opened up, and access panels opened....and still not completed...