Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cocquis
I know a lot of folks hate the little guys. I have to say that I just love them. It's not just the sweet chirping putting me to sleep, it's how they almost mask the psychotic barking of all the lonely, scared mistreated dogs. I also quite enjoy the gradual transition between 4am and 8am (I'm an early riser) between the cocquis and the birds. Fortunately the native and invasive bird species mostly drown out the roosters.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
I'm with you I love the coquis when I am on Island AND as a matter of fact I'll be on island in two more days. So looking forward to the cacophony of the little guys, allthough maybe if I were a permanent resident I might not feel the love so much ![Big Grin]
It depends a lot on where you are. I live in Hawaiian Acres in a relatively open area and they're fairly tolerable - there are enough that they all blend into a chorus, but far enough away not to be too loud. I have friends who live in Orchidland where the trees are taller and denser, and they're literally deafening there. And if you have just one or two, especially in or on your house, they will drive you crazy...
Personally I like them. When the chorus is a bit off in the distance. If you get one right outside your window its a completely different matter. Our yard seems to be cocqui proof so its good, and it helps drown out undesireable sounds. Our last place in HA had a few just outside the windows and I wouldn't have minded a cane toad swallowing them up.
When it comes to the "music" of the coquis, I prefer the spaces between the music. Those spaces are called "silence" and it's golden.
I like the coquis, heck I even sleep peacefully through the rooster farm crowing, the domestic disputes from the house nearby or the homeless dog barking down the street. When it's quiet I have a hard time sleeping. Wink

Dayna

www.JasonAndBlue.com
My artwork
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Coquis are like drops of water. Listening to thousands of them falling is pleasant (ie. a waterfall). One at a time (dripping faucet) is torture.
I also find them pleasant as I have said here before. In the Summer months we usually have a fan at the foot of the bed at night, so really no problem unless there is one right under the window like people stated above. I find them charming and when it's really cold out and it is dead silent because they won't sing...then I find it a challenge to sleep...there's something off somehow if they are not chirping. [Smile]

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.septemberspirals.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I remember reading in a credible source, that I cannot cite because it was a while ago and I can't remember exactly where I read it, that the coquis are maturing as a population, with fewer, larger, frogs and slightly deeper chirps. The scientist stated that we would have about the same number of pounds of coquis per cubic acre, but fewer individuals. The pattern of audible frog noise at our place seems to bear this out.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol,

I battled coquis for years before finally giving up, but now have them invading my deck and making things miserable. And they are much larger than the ones I used to deal with three or four years ago and incredibly annoying and disruptive - even painful to the ear if they are close enough.

For all you coqui fans, great that you love them, the chorus is indeed something you can get used to but when individual frogs are in, below or on top of your lanai it is a miserable experience. Years ago I fell asleep to the sound of the surf on the cliffs, whales during the winter and the gentle noise from crickets but now it's hard to fall asleep because you have some high-decibel chirp coming from somewhere you can't quite locate - and even if you can you might not be able to get there.

I've found recently that baking soda is a deterrent, at least for them getting on the deck. It's not a cheap solution but have found they don't like going through a layer of that stuff. Yes, I was desperate, it's all I had other than bug spray...

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/