Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big score.
Just save a bunch of money on a new Honda inverter/generator. Locally the Honda EU2000i goes for $1130.76 with tax (if they are in stock). I bought a new one in the box on eBay for $885.00 shipping included. Thats a 245.00 savings! After the last power outage here in the park I figured it was time to get a small generator to keep the water flowing. I know there are cheaper generators to be had but I found that many of the appliances in the home now have computer chips inside that require a true sine wave or "clean power". I know the water pump, instant hot water, UV light, and fridge all state that in the owners manual. Most of the sellers list UPS as the as the only way to ship which runs around $160-170 to Hawaii. Shipping via USPS parcel post, cost $42 from the west cost and about $50 from mid continent. I ended up paying $60.00 shipping. All you have to do is contact the seller and ask them if they would take the time to ship USPS and show them the cost difference. After contacting about 4 sellers I ended up with 3 that were willing to work with me. It's nice to buy local but my pocked book won't stretch that far sometimes! As long as there is only one Honda dealer there will be no reason to sell for less than full list price.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

I assume this runs on gasoline? Are there diesel generators by Honda, too? It would be interesting to run on biodiesel or waste vegetable oil.

Does the inverter part of this unit allow it to be plugged into the home electrical system, like an inverter on a PV system?

Edited by - Les C on 05/05/2007 09:09:19
Hondas are pretty good, they are the quietest generators and they run most stuff, too. Is that a true sine wave or a modified sine wave? Most stuff will run with a modified sine wave but a lot won't run with a stepped sine wave. We've got a Honda as a back up generator, although it came from a garage sale and wasn't bought new. It starts with a key which is handy, but we haven't gotten it set up to automatically start when the power gets low.

We did have a nice Yanmar generator awhile back. That was another garage sale score. It had been used on construction sites and was really ratty looking. The guy wanted $20 for it and if he would start it, we'd give him the $20 for it, or if he'd prefer to not bother trying to start it, we'd give him $5 and just make it go away. Ha! That was a good generator.

My favorite generator, though, was an Agtronics. It was about the size of a shoe box and just perfect for running a blender out on the sandbar in Kaneohe Bay.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Nice find on a great genset, Royall.

We bought the same unit last year after shopping generators TO DEATH for 3 months . Quiet was a HUGE issue for us (as well as reliability) and the most consistently recommended brands were Honda, Yamaha, and Subaru Robin. All of the 1-2kw models from any of these 3 companies run on gas and are very small - in the 50 to 70 lb. range. We opted for the Honda because it is possible to link 2 of them together via an optional parallel cable unit. 4kw output at less than 100lbs, not bad.

The EU series Hondas are pure sine wave. BTW, most consumer electronics, including computer power supplies, will operate just fine with a modified sine but most microwave ovens and virtually all clock radios will not. The sort of 'contractor grade' gensets sold at Costco and Harbor Freight generally produce a square or stepped signal which works well for running power tools and air compressors . . . sensitive equipment not so much. They're also LOUD.

AFAIK, all inverter generators are gas powered. Honda does produce diesel units, but none with inverter technology.

aloha,
Gene

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Edited by - G. Leis on 05/06/2007 13:56:19

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No." - Craig T. Nelson
Just for informational purposes, I bought a Home Depot 5550/8550 Troy Bilt a couple of years ago. It's loud and has a pull start. On the other hand, except when I forget to turn on the switch or the choke, it starts on the very first pull every time. And it's an easy pull. I got it during our bad hurricane season when my big generator wouldn't run correctly. I put a lot of hours on it and it still runs like new. All of my appliances, including 2 refrigerators, large chest freezer, well pump, computers, lights, fans, dvd player and TV ran fine on it, including my little life saving window shaker airconditioner. I did switch off the refrigerators and freezer when I would run my 2hp submersible well pump. I changed the oil way less than the factory recomended interval but I did change it regularly about every three days, which from what I can tell is unusual. Point being, hondas are great and I wish I had one, but the little troy bilt has been great for the money and was economical on gas at about 12-14 gallons a day running nonstop (I was bad and refilled it while it was running, very dangerous)24 hours a day and overloaded.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

Edited by - oink on 05/07/2007 10:40:47
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
economical on gas at about 12-14 gallons a day running nonstop

Wow, thats a lot of GAS! Sure glad my honda runs about 14 hours 1/4 load on one gallon of gas! Smile

Tho, I haven't tried to run my 1 HP Pump, I think the EU2000's are rated at 13 Amps... 16 Amp Peak for like a few seconds. It may not run my pump. We'll see when I get it installed. But, the purpose of my generator was to run the fridge for a few hours and a small tv and a few lights... Oh maybe a laptop computer. Smile

I bought my Honda from White Cap, they were on sale for about 1K a few months ago. I figured it would be better to buy local in case I ran into problems. Seems, from my experience that they treat you better if you buy from them. Good Score on your generator ... Just remember to add some sea foam to your gas.... And keep change the oil! Smile

Royall, I bought the same Honda gen back in Nov. I love it, I paid $1000 on sale in Hilo. My biggest concern in buying a gen was a constant supply of electricity to run my laptop without frying it. So far, so good, thank you Lord!

Yeah Buddy, I been member of E-bay since they were boasting about having sold one hundred thousand dollars in the first year.

Before I came to build, last year, I picked up a Paslode finish and framing set of nail guns; newer version with 45 degree angle. One used and one new, both total was $225 including shipping. SCORE!

Paslode nail guns operate on butane, no air no electricity, average price; $375 each.

it took me about two weeks of watching and hunting at the bay though.

And a tip about the bay; many times you can find a new item with a "buy it now" price that's less than the final price people have bid on.

My last score, just before I made the trip I am on now was a cingular cell phone, pay as you go. Just last March I grabed a Laser cell phone ;Internet, video camera, digital camera, and the works, ' laser V3IM' for less than 100 bucks, delivered 'Buy it now". Then grabbed a cingular 'pay as you go' Sim card for 10 bucks "buy it now" delivered, with a ten dollar credit upon installation, so,, the card was virtually free.

E-bay can be good, berry good. Just wish i could buy lumber and roofing materials for me house from it, in the same delivery time,. he he.

Edited by - Jeffhale on 05/08/2007 06:05:54
Great score, Royall
I got my Honda EU3000 brand new off ebay last year. Had to educate the seller re shipping via DHX and still less costly than a local purchase.
EBay can be great especially when the sellers are willing to learn about shipping alternatives.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident