Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying the lot next door
Well, I have an opportunity to by my neighbors lot so it would be side by side (vacant lot). So, I'd own .6 acres in hawaiian beaches...

I'm buying it for pretty much privacy and I haven't seen too many sxs properties in beaches or shores. Spending another 100 bucks a year in property taxes is there any other reason I shouldn't buy it?

The neighbors on the other side is a rental and currently a new renters moved in with hunting dogs. Glad to have an extra vacant lot. Smile or glad my lot doesn't back up to their lot.

It's a pretty cheap lot and I've already made up my mind that I want to buy it but before I put in any type of offer I wanted to get some advice here first just in case I haven't thought of anything that might stick out. It does have a bunch of junk trees but no albezia. Lot's of guava and cane grass mostly. Would it be worth it to try to combine the lots later?

Thanks.
If it is what you want to do I don't see a down side.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
IMHO, buy it, make it what you want. Don't combine it because it is like money in the bank, and if you ever had to sell it it would just be hassel to change it back, if they would even let you, you never know what rules they have until it is to late...Good for you, I have 4+ acres and it is to much work, so more is more (work), but if you are up to it, go for it.

Are Albezia trees hard to kill?

Rick
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
quote:
Originally posted by Wuzzerdad

Chain Saw kills anything. [:p]

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jlgerk
quote:
Originally posted by jlgerk
quote:
Originally posted by Wuzzerdad

Chain Saw kills anything. [:p]

Uhhh, no. If you just cut down the trees, 3 or 4 more grow in its place. You have to poison the stump. It's been discussed here several times but the best thing to do, if you have the space for them to fall safely, is strip the bark from about 6 feet up all the way down to the root level. These trees are very top heavy and will not fall predictably like a douglas fir. A sudden gust of wind can send them falling in a totally different direction than expected and there are a few fatalities around here occasionally. That is part of why it is so expensive to clear these lots overgrown with albizia and that other junk tree. There were two recent falls of very large trees off Kahakai and they knocked the power out twice last week, during the night. The winds and rains can pick up in the winter and there were several people that narrowly escaped being killed or hurt by falling albizia trees and branches. They look kind of cool over the roadway until a branch falls on your head. Shores provides an informational brochure:

http://hawaiianshores.org/docs/AlbiziaTrees.pdf
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I would definitely buy it. Especially with the market down. It's a small lot so should be easy to maintain. I wouldn't combine it. If it appreciates 3x in value you might want to sell it.
The market is going to go down even more.. Buy it for the privacy not the investment.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul