Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kapoho crater
We hiked up to the top on Friday and I am curious what the building near the top is. Looks like a radar installation. Was it military? What about the water tank at the top? Looks like it still has water in it. If it's still working, what does it serve?
The views up there were unbelievable and the walk up is absolutely gorgeous!
I would appreciate any info about the crater and it's history. Such a magical spot.
I believe that would be the police departments 911 relay tower and the water tank holds water feeding Kapoho Farm and Beach lots area.
Everything up there was been abandoned.

The water tank is empty because the well was contaminated by the 1975 earthquake.
Where is the trail? Sounds interesting.
It is all private property.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
It can be accessed from Red Road directly across from Kapoho Beach Lots.

There is a phone number on the gate that will get the caretaker down there to unlock the gate or just go on Friday's when she is selling produce that is grown there.

I think Smilie charges about $5.00 for access.The money helps to pay for the mowing.
Oh, Green Lake!
We weren't trespassing. We paid Smiley $5 each. Does she own the property? Bought some nice local Mangoes from her. What WAS the building used for? I could see that it was abandoned. Green Lake is at the bottom of the crater, the trail takes you up to the rim of the crater.
Wait, I have been up to green lake for a function and the lake is at the bottom of the crater. I thought that Smiley's family owned the property...anyone? It really is gorgeous up there...hope you got a look at that huge monkeypod tree that looks like it is giving birth. It'll give you chicken skin.

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.septemberspirals.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
It doesn't belong to Kapoho Land(Lyman).

It belongs to a friend of Smiley's.He was her boyfriend and broke his neck and was paralyzed in a fall from the cliff at Kehena.He lives on Oahu now and she is his caretaker.

She is still caring for his exotic birds also.