Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paving the wawa
Looks like "progress" won out and the wawa is getting paved.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
Ugh

Next is lights, speedbumps and more traffic ( accidents )

Tie up your dogs.

aloha,
pog
Do you mean Government Beach Road, though all the Mango trees in Waa Waa? I though that was a big No No since it was in a Tsunami zone????

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
We're all here, because we're not all there!
My understanding is that only the areas that flood badly and the hills with broken cement are being surfaced. I drove it last night and there was traffic with me, no one waqs speeding the mix of gravel and hard surfacde seems to slow people down. The hard surface areas have not hurt the beauty of the road, and it is indeed easier on my car. If I had to evacuate in an emergency I feel I would have a better chance than before. No one loses here.
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam
Looks like "progress" won out and the wawa is getting paved.

Has this been confirmed or just another tea party "factoid"? If you are talking about all the trucks recently, and haven't gone down to see what it's all about, you will be underwhelmed. They are just filling a short section that was graded several months ago, become potholes and ruts since then.

It would be very controversial if there was some full length paving. The problem has been lack of funds. There was talk about getting it paved as an evacuation route but determined the last place you want to be for a tsunami evacuation. Even the grading that is going on is coming out of the geothermal fund that still has community improvement in it.
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
For those of us that live in Wa'a Wa'a it is the only route we could take if needed. I do not think anyone is thinking of this route as an evacution route for anyone else.
quote:
Originally posted by cwaters
For those of us that live in Wa'a Wa'a it is the only route we could take if needed. I do not think anyone is thinking of this route as an evacution route for anyone else.

It's been kicking around for awhile, discussed at length with the geothermal hoopla. Some people were advocating using the geothermal funds to pave wawa as a geothermal evacuation route. That died with the vetoed bills, don't want to drag up that cesspool again, but it does mean the community improvement is still active.
quote:
On Page 18 thru 21 of the Puna CDP Transportation
Working Group Final Report for EXISTING ROADWAYS,
the Puna CDP Transportation WG Existing Roadways
Task Partnership recommended that Government
Beach Road be "transformed into a "scenic byway"
and emergency evacuation route."

Source: Puna CDP Transportation Working Group
Final Report - EXISTING ROADWAYS (February 15, 2007)
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Your dogs should be tied up anyways, there is a leash law! Get your head out of the clouds. You do not own the road. People have the right to use it!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by pog

Ugh

Next is lights, speedbumps and more traffic ( accidents )

Tie up your dogs.

aloha,
pog

Enjoy life, smile, show compassion and most importantly be grateful for the things you have!
www.aceyourcollegeclasses.com
It's entirely possible that "they" do "own" the road -- this place is riddled with "private" roads which County "cannot" maintain.
They, is the state who turned the maintaince over to the county, which has been a nightmare.