Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kinetic soccer ball
I thought this looked cool enough to show you punatics!

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/201211/...l-280.aspx

Cheers

rainyjim
The article seemed to imply that using this ball would allow a significant reduction in the fuel used for lighting. At 22 players per ball, I doubt it.
The article stated that 30 minutes of kicking = 3 hours of LED lamp illumination. The idea is that you do not need 2 teams of soccer players to kick a ball about for 30min. most kids will do that on their own & will then be able to have light for study & other things at night.....

Believe it or not, that is where this article ties into Punaweb mission - the first hydroelectric plant at Puueo Hydroelectric plant was built by the Lymans in order that the Hilo Mission school children could have lighting for nightly readings, freeing up more daylight hours for the work they did.... the Wailuku provided excess power for their needs & they developed more industry & still the mission had excess power so they rented out light bulbs & lamps to nearby residents This became the beginnings of the Hawaii Electric Light Company (HELCO) so if you ever wondered WHY the "electric light" is a part of our electric company name, that is it... the Hawaii connection to a soccer ball!
Carey I want to tap into your brain with my USB cord and upload all your tidbits onto my harddrive!

Cheers

rainyjim
Careful!

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Believe me, that is NOT what anyone would want... this thing is a big circular file with random bits of information flying all around...rarely sticking to anything useful!

if only I could ever get it in a usable format, & nicely filed... but, like all tidy filing, wanna do it, but that ain't gonna happen.....

Now, if only I could connet those bits to a gyro generator... then we would have POWER!