Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Vets Say the Vog Could be Harming My Dog
Brought my beautiful pound puppy girl over with me shortly after I arrived. She arrived on December 22, 2011, which was the beginning of a dry spell. Her only health problem was high blood pressure, for which she takes medication. She also had a slight limp in her back rear leg, congenital so nothing they could do there.

A few months ago she developed a cough, out of the blue. Took her to a vet and he said watch her for a month and maybe it will self resolve. I watched her for 3 days and concluded she needed immediate medical care.

She was initially diagnosed with congestive heart failure (2 vets) and was put on two meds to address that, including a diuretic. She got sicker and could barely walk. And her cough persisted.

I took her to a vet in Waimea who methodically and convincingly ruled out heart disease of any kind. The vet actually examined my dog, was conversant with her medical history to an astonishing degree and was highly credible. The culprit, she opined, was the lungs. She eliminated bacteria and parasites as a cause of the inflammation. After tests, she concluded my dog had allergic brochitis, sometimes also called COPD. She thought the trigger was probably environmental. She suggested that the "vog down there" might be the trigger and pointed to an increased incidence of lung issues among people in Puna. When I got my dog back from Waimea (where she stayed a week) she was perfectly normal. With meds, she remained fine for about a week. Then her cough returned, albeit in a milder form.

She had a rough spell last week and so I took her to a local vet to see if I needed to change up the meds. He confirmed the COPD diagnosis and said it was probably the vog and just sort of threw up his hands.

I mentioned this to friends who thought this was not a credible source of whatever is provoking her coughing. arguing that we have air so clean that scientists use it as a standard against which to check other air. (I hear that a lot, don't you?).

She is really struggling now. She wakes me up in the middle of the night sometimes just to say "Daddy, I can't breathe". The meds help only intermittently and I am concerned that I brought her to the wrong place and that to save her, I may need to part with her and ask my ex-partner on the mainland if he will care for her.

My personal thinking is that we have very high air quality except when we don't --and then we have a very bad air quality that presents a danger to some people and, perhaps to pets. I very rarely notice it and never have any reaction to it, but others do I guess. I only notice it when I smell it, and to me it smells like BBQ. But I never have a physical reaction, other than olfactory, that I am aware of.

Obviously the usual patterns have been disrupted and it is unusually dry right now, which often equates with increased vog (although the tradewinds are blowing very well today so I guess it CAN be warm and dry without a Kona wind). But those conditions weren't present when the cough began.

I've done almost everything I can so I am going to crowd source the issue.

1. Is it voggier than usual now? I absolutely don't notice it.
2. Is there a greater incidence of pulmonary disease in Puna than elsewhere on the island?
3. Is there any anecdotal evidence of the vog affecting pets? Sneezing cats? Mucous in mongoose? White tigers coughing their stripes off?
4. If pets do react to vog, is there a remedy other than bronchodilators I haven't considered?

I hope you find a solution. My own furry child, a Chow Chow is viciously allergic to something here on the Big Island. She's on an immunosupressor to keep from chewing here own hide off. I feel so bad, as it has side effects, not allowing her to fight off infections. She's lost some hearing from ear infections. Too bad the mongoose population doesn't decline from allergies.

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
could it be allergies? Like to mold?
I had THREE people doctors tell me my nasty cough was due to acid reflux. The cough persisted for well over a year before I convinced a fourth doctor to give me a nasal spray for allergies, which cleared it all up.
I don't know if there is a doggie equivalent to Flonase, but it might be something to consider. Incidentally, short-term absence from the mold (went to dry San Jose, CA for 3 weeks) did not clear up the problem, so a weekend in Kona wouldn't prove much.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
I have asthma from the vog and the humidity. Looking back, probably had asthma before we moved here, but it is really bad now and I was diagnosed here. The asthma dr. said there is DEFINITELY a higher incidence of asthma and lung problems on the Hilo side (he also has offices in Kona and Oahu). He suggested closing the windows at night and keeping fans going - night air is heavier and full of moisture and the lungs can't take in enough air bc it's being used up by moisture. (he said on the Kona side, OPEN the windows at night) It often presents as major chest pains, like heart problems, but they were ruled out after tests. The rescue inhaler and steroid inhaler helped but didn't get me over the hump. He asked how often I had acid reflux. I said when DON'T I have it? He put me on OTC omeprazole (prilosec generic) and nasal spray. TOTALLY fixed the problem. I have a friend here with asthma, too, and she also gets chest pains from it, and she didn't have any problem before moving here. I know the vog and/or humidity is bad when I start to cough at night. It feels like my lungs are full of dust or other particulate. I then realize I have slacked off on the steroid inhaler. Long story, sorry, but the humidity and vog are TERRIBLE for people - and pets - with respiratory issues. I have put an AC unit in my office and it has helped tremendously bc it cleans out the air of particulates and moisture.

Also, since diagnosis, I've come across like 20 or 30 other people with the same issues. I also have a friend who has lived here his whole life and has asthma. He suffers greatly and has been hospitalized and has lots of advice - drink warm beverages, stay hydrated, etc. Vog and humidity are no good for people with any kind of COPD or asthma.
I brought a small dog over from the mainland 4 years ago. A year ago, he started having wheezing and coughing attacks for no apparent reason. We took him to the Kilauea Vet Clinic in Keeau, where the vet started him on Prednisone and a cough syrup, as well as a round of antibiotics in case he had bronchitis. Other thoughts about the cause were possible a collapsed trachea (thankfully that wasn't it) or something environmental, although vog wasn't mentioned. That worked for a few months, then the symptoms started again. He had another round of the Prednisone and cough syrup and has been fine for the past 9 months. Our other dog, adopted here, has never been sick at all.

The vog monitors for this area read negative except on occasional periods such as last May or june . I would vote for mold. That is what causes so much problem for humans to the point they have to move off island to recover. Very sad to hear about your dog.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
If it is air borne (like VOG & the dog was better while at the vets, most likely the better was due to having conditioned air....maybe a small room air conditioner or HEPA air cleaner for her sleeping room may be all that is needed (of course ...look at the most energy efficient.... but if it is something in the air, this should make your lovely lady much more comfortable...
Thank you everyone. It sounds like this isn't unheard of. Yes, Carey --the dog was fine when I got her back from the vet's. Room air conditioner might work. And DTisme, it IS worse at night (which keeps me from sleeping because she wakes me up). Pahoachick: Your experience parallels mine -- my dog was fine until one day she wasn't, which, they tell me, is typical of allergic bronchitis. You fight it and fight it quietly and then have a reaction and the coughs come. I wasn't given any cough syrup though. What is the name of it? Maybe I will ask for some (not that she would easily let me give her any).

Lee M-S -- I had acid reflux very bad when I was working and was taking all that stuff for it (Prilosec). Then I changed my diet --nothing spicy after 3:00 p.m., nothing with vinegar in it (not sure why it is bad, but it is), nothing highly acidic like spaghetti sauce, basically pretty bland food in the evening, no wine (vodka, yes!). Completely went away and incidentally helped me lose weight.

As far as acid in the stomach goes,

The best method, I have found is Apple Cider Vinegar.

I prefer taking a ' shot ' of it (1 oz) and ' chasing ' with water (8oz).
I know some people mix the shot in with the chaser, but I prefer getting it over with to sipping away at the mix.

I prefer this method because I have apple cider vinegar at hand for cooking, distust pharmaceuticals in general, and prefer the all-natural & organic route whenever possible. I strongly recommend trying Apple Cider Vinegar for anyone with stomach acid problems.

Kelena, so very sad to hear about your pooch. I wish I had advice for her also : /.

Aloha mai kakou
I had a friend whose cat started having respiratory trouble just when she moved into a new place. The apt had brand new carpet. About a year later they took out the carpet and it finally went away. Just a thought. Hope your pooch gets better soon!