Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Way out to the lava.....
Okay, so the lava is flowing down the pali although apparently not to the ocean.

I have some friends who would like to go see it. This is a busy time of year and I am not sure I wish to trouble anyone to guide us. I might. So, can anyone tell me how to get there? Do you begin at the County Viewing area? Just keep walking and following, uh, smoke?
I know it's a free country and all, but I think it'd be a good idea for you to pay to be guided at least the first time you make the trip. Not too long ago a group of 16 or so folk went out (with a guide) and never came back - a lava plate collapsed into the ocean taking them all into the ocean / lava.

That said if you do go I'd encourage you to follow the coast and begin when it is still light outside with plenty of: good shoes for lava walking, water, and flashlights. This way when you head back you'll have already walked the terrain once in the light. Best of luck! Hope you have a great experience

Cheers

rainyjim
rainyjim - How long ago did 16 people die in a lava shelf collapse? I don't remember hearing about that, do you have a link to the report?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
It was flowing into the ocean on Friday despite a claim to the contrary on HVO's website.
As for the 16 people and a guide dying out there, let's just kill this rumor now.
Also, starting at the county viewing area is technically illegal. I have had a few geology friends get cited for trespassing. So if you do go by way of the country viewing area, leave at dawn and arrive back before 2. If you want to take a few xtra hours you can always do from the NP area, which has markers along the trail.
Be careful though. Take a GPS if you have one and bring at least 4 liters of water, good shoes and sunscreen!
Good luck to you and your company.
The 16 deaths on a shelf collapse is completely made up and untrue. There have been 40 fatalities in the area from 1992 to 2002. Due to increased awareness and effective safety campaigns, the number of accidents has decreased. Is it dangerous? Yes. Is it an incredible adventure? Yes.
Okay, so what I am hearing through the grapevine is go out to the black sand beach across from the Kalapana Cafe, hug the coast and keep walking through vegetation. I think we will go out tomorrow morning. Two hours out I hear.

1 or 2 people camping out on a lava bench were killed in the '90's, but I do take this as an adventure and have been explaining in every way that I possibly can that this is not a Disney feature that shows up at the same place over and over and that this non-Disney feature can reach up and grab you......as we put it in the law, this is an inherently dangerous activity.

But then, so is skiing, canoeing, ziplining, or driving out on Hwy 130 at night.

Does the way that I have described sound correct?
quote:
Originally posted by Rene

The 16 deaths on a shelf collapse is completely made up and untrue. There have been 40 fatalities in the area from 1992 to 2002.
That figure of 40 is for the entire park; I believe only three are from the eruption, the photographer who was killed in the bench collapse in 1993 and the two who died from inhaling acid steam in 2000. There may have been a few others I don't recall, but not many. And yes it is still dangerous - there have been many more close calls and nonfatal injuries - but the danger is reduced considerably if you take basic precautions. The guy in 1993 was with a large group who all rushed off the bench as soon as it started cracking; he stayed to take a few more pictures. The other two were within 100 yards of the ocean entry. Even if it was only regular steam, you're screwed if the wind shifts the plume onto you that close.
Sounds like a plan Kelena, but if it were me I'd go at night time it' makes for a much more surreal experience, but since you've never done it alone I suppose it makes sense to go in the daytime.

Don't forget the little stuff like checking your cameras battery or the space on your memory card or how much undeveloped film you have left if you still use a film camera.

Cheers

rainyjim
If I was you Id use Kalapana Cultural Tours at Uncle Roberts 'Awa Bar @ Kalapana (end of Red Rd.), they are from the area, live there, know the land, and take tourists out daily to the active flow....

Or you can go by yourself on an unintended 5 day adventure like this kook did

I SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE!! Season 6, Episode 2 Volcano Vacation Hell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1x33qoZWsA

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha