Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Pizza Business On The Island
We're going to bring in the New Year tomorrow night with Pizza. Wanted to get some idea from Punawebbers what business establishment on the east side makes the best pizza and why? Pizza Hut and Domino's is not acceptable as far as we're concerned.
The best you could find is homemade in your kitchen using Jim Lahey's no knead pizza dough recipe from here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/...ecipe.html

I use King Arthur white bread flour, Muir Glen pizza sauce, Kraft Italian 5 cheese pre-grated, good quality olive oil, and whatever toppings we feel like, quality ingredients count. It is super easy and only requires starting the dough in the morning here in Puna, not 18-24 hours before baking. This is my go to easy dinner on days I know I am going to work late. Makes good calzones too.

Carol

edited to add you will never eat someone else's pizza again!
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I woudda said the Pahoa NY pizza, but our botanist friend went a couple of weeks ago, and was not pleased at all...something changed in the month or so from the last pizzas we had from there...they were worth it... but this last time??? NO!
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

I woudda said the Pahoa NY pizza, but our botanist friend went a couple of weeks ago, and was not pleased at all...something changed in the month or so from the last pizzas we had from there...they were worth it... but this last time??? NO!

I vote for Mike's NY pizza in Pahoa.

funny that I read this, we were there a few weeks ago and some guy who had eaten there before (though I wouldn't call him a "regular") was complaining, loudly, that his slice of pepperoni was too greasy and oily. I wonder if it was your botanist friend. If it was, I'm sorry that he's your friend...
Thanks Carol,

Believe it or not, was just thinking about making my own.

Sorry, have heard about King Arthur flour but never looked for it ... Can buy anywhere or ???

Mahalo and happy new year !
aloha,
pog
Forgot to add ... You gotta try the wood fired folks still ... Sunday and Tuesday @ Old Chevrolet parking lot. Right now I am voting dem da bes.
aloha,
pog
Well, I wasn't impressed with Mikes... For Pahoa, it's still Boggiwoogi. Not the best pizza I ever had, but not bad... But the best I've had on the east side.

I vote making your own Pizza. Not only is it cheaper but if your using farmers market produce you know it's gonna be tastier.
Best price on bread flour is at Target. I think they have King Arthur flour.
I think Mike's is better than Boogie Woogie hands down, but it's just my subjective opinion, one that comes with a price tag. That said, Boogie Woogie is probably a better "value." Neither would win any awards where I'm from, but I think Mike's holds its own for thin-crusted pizza. I agree that making your own is the best way. I checked out the posted link (Jim Layey's no knead pizza), and plan to try the recipe. Mahalo for posting that csgray!
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
We're not going to have the time to make our own pizza's. That would have been our first choice also.