Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep an eye on your credit card statements
All,

Just posting this as a warning as I can't rule out someone on this island is after your credit card info.

I got called this morning by Citibank's "early warning" dept and was told that several charges had been made to one of my credit cards. Several thousands of dollars of charges to be accurate. They also told me, although I found it difficult to understand the person's accent, that Citibank had actually been called by the fraudster because one of the charges hadn't gone through. They had my address correct but did not get my name quite right, which triggered an alert.

Incidentally, just as a word of advice, if something like this happens to you, it's always best to call the credit card company or bank using the number on the back of your card (which I did). This way you'll know you're talking to someone at the bank and not someone trying it on.

In any case, to cut to the chase, it seems Citibank caught this quickly enough that I won't be out any money. My card was canceled but will get a new one in a day or two (free of charge) and in a few days will get a statement in which I need to identify all the fraudulent charges (most of which I have already done on the phone, but they need it on paper).

As I said at the top, I can't rule out someone on this island being behind this although I only use that card in a couple of places here and have done so for many years. Given the fraudulent charges seemed to be mostly for flights on British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, I suspect it's more likely someone managed to get enough details while I was on vacation in the UK a couple of months ago, perhaps the card details were copied while I paid for a meal at a restaurant, I don't know yet.

Fortunately Citibank have a really efficient security system that picks things up pretty quickly (sometimes a little too efficiently!), but other companies may not have as efficient early warning systems, so just thought I'd let people know it's possible someone's after credit card info here.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
More and more frequent!

The police also sent out an alert to report any phone calls received that are supposedly from the phone company telling the victim that their phone bill is overdue and of course, they would need to pay over the phone. NO, do not heed that call! And of course, I know that Punaweb readers are much smarter than to fall for this.

Desperate people!
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Mahalo for real world info Tom !

aloha,
pog
This happened to me here in Hilo (I believe) in September. The only time I used my newly re-issued CC was at the mall. Two weeks later I was in WA State, using it to buy friends dinner and it was declined. I called my card number as soon as we returned to the hotel and the same thing happened as TomK - my card had been flagged due to possibly fraudulent charges. We talked through them on the phone (about 3k worth of electronics at newegg online). We also talked of how my info could have been scammed. It seems one method that is taking shape more and more is proximity swiping. The perp simply walks by you with a prox scanner and grabs all the info off the magnetic strip. (They don't get the 3 digit #.) I looked around on the net and there are certainly many instances of this, many ways to do it if a person is carrying a card in their pocket or wallet that is unprotected/unshielded.

Anyways, my card was never out of my sight when I used it, and I use safeshop when online, so this seems the easiest and most probable route of acquisition, in my particular case. I was not charged, and was sent a new card asap. I now use the shielded card slips for all my magnetic cards, which prevents prox scanning. Office Max/others carry these.

And I paid my wife back for buying dinner. Smile

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
This has happened twice to me since I moved here.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
You can't remotely read the mag strips on credit cards, the only thing that can be accessed remotely is an RFID chip. These are very common in Europe as well as that type of crime being committed. At least they are not widespread in the U.S. I will never use an RFID-embedded card. You can disable the RFID by drilling through it, but be careful if it's near the mag strip.

Edited to correct typos!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
The RFID credit cards used in the UK have been proven insecure.

Best strategies for RFID are: keep it in a tinfoil sleeve (or shielded wallet, they do exist) if you still want to use it that way, otherwise give it a few seconds in the microwave (if you do it just right there's no visible damage afterwards).
Thanks for the warnings. I always pay in cash in restaurants, this happens way too often.
Paul - that's great advice and I generally try to pay with cash. Unfortunately in this situation it was a three-week trip in a very expensive country and so we're generally talking two meals a day at a restaurant or bar - and I was paying for both of us plus drinks! To pay with cash would have meant carrying an enormous amount of cash with me which I'm a little uncomfortable doing! But paying in cash is definitely the best option if you can do it.

Just for everyone's info - my card that ended up with the fraudulent charges did not have an RFID chip.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
"...Just for everyone's info - my card that ended up with the fraudulent charges did not have an RFID chip. ..."
Then you were skimmed. Plenty of those little mag readers around. You need to keep an eye on your card at ALL times...hard to do in a restaurant where they take the card somewhere "in the back" to pay your bill.
Puna: Our roosters crow first