Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd incident on Kaloli Drive this evening
I was driving back home from Keaau this evening on Kaloli Drive (HPP) between 5th and 6th street when I saw the headlights of a car coming towards me suddenly veer into my lane. I slowed down to a crawl and then another car following that car did the same. I carried on and then came across a guy walking almost right in the middle of the street. Dark clothing, leather jacket, sunglasses on and a cap. This was just before 6:30pm and of course quite dark.

I passed him, pulled into a side street and called 911 and told the dispatcher there was someone walking up the middle of Kaloli and stood a good chance of being killed. After that I drove back down and on seeing the guy still in the road and apparently oblivious to anything going on around him pulled into another side street. Did this another couple of times, basically hoping to make sure I could warn drivers there was someone in the street (I'd put my hazards on when I saw cars coming plus flashed my headlights).

It might have been a good idea for me to try and communicate with the guy walking on the road, but he seemed so oblivious to everything I just didn't feel safe doing so.

Anyway, half an hour later he had made it safely onto Beach Road so decided to go home then because although that road is pretty dark, cars tend to drive more slowly there and there are far fewer of them. No cops turned up unfortunately but I do understand the situation here; they were likely stretched and had higher priorities. But I couldn't help thinking if a driver had hit him then that would have been a pretty tragic changing point in the driver's life (and, of course, the guy walking in the middle of the road).

Anyway, thought I'd share just share and if anyone has suggestions as to what I could have done better, I'm all ears.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Charles Darwin established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors, and proposed the scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.

What you witnessed was irrefutable proof that evolution exists. It is not just a theory. The unfortunate side effect is that often times when somebody's behavior takes them out of the gene pool, there is collateral damage to others. Your efforts to warn the other drivers and call 911 helped protect those of us who continue to evolve.

Had you not been there to artificially protect his genetic lineage, he might have won the prestigious Darwin Awards: http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/
I heard this call on the scanner, Tom, and can't imagine what else you could have done!

At the same time, cops were at a domestic (in HPP) involving weapons (several callers said the perp was holding a gun and pointing it at people while driving to the residence). Two others were waiting for a tow truck at an accident (car on the road).

It must have been an hour later, and cops reported to dispatch they checked the area, and could not locate the guy.

Nowadays, how can any of us feel comfortable approaching anyone resembling your description. NO WAY! Your actions were beyond the "call of duty", imo.

We need more cops assigned to Puna. Period. Huge district to cover, with lots of "incidents".

Oh, also at the same, time cops were headed to Pohoiki for an assault (fight between two drunken fools.)
Maybe a bit off topic...

Dont like driving at night out here - dark unlit roads, offending lifted truck high beams, general use of high beams in the 'burbs and a set of eyes that are showing early signs of cataracts -

I drive for recreation now days - an easy choice to make. I'm not a timid driver will do the run from oc to the bay area or vegas in a heart beat day or night.....

Out here .... I just like to have the truck parked at sunset - its just too dark in the boonies to be comfy and relaxed behind the wheel - wont make the run to Kona at night for love or money....just my take
One night last week, I was driving on 130 uphill between Kalapana and Pahoa around 9:00 PM. Some guy was skateboarding down the hill wearing dark clothing and no lighting whatsoever. I nearly hit him. And he had just passed a house with dogs that chase anything that moves. Luckily they left him alone.
Interesting timing on this. Friday night my daughter, son in law, and grandaughter were driving from 3rd and Makuu towards the highway to go out to dinner in Hilo and a lady was walking right in the middle of the road and it was really dark.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I frequently walk in the middle of the road at night wearing dark clothes, helps me feel alive.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
quote:
Originally posted by opihikao

I heard this call on the scanner, Tom, and can't imagine what else you could have done!

At the same time, cops were at a domestic (in HPP) involving weapons (several callers said the perp was holding a gun and pointing it at people while driving to the residence). Two others were waiting for a tow truck at an accident (car on the road).

It must have been an hour later, and cops reported to dispatch they checked the area, and could not locate the guy.

Nowadays, how can any of us feel comfortable approaching anyone resembling your description. NO WAY! Your actions were beyond the "call of duty", imo.

We need more cops assigned to Puna. Period. Huge district to cover, with lots of "incidents".

Oh, also at the same, time cops were headed to Pohoiki for an assault (fight between two drunken fools.)

If we are talking about Saturday evening, around the same time, cops were swarming at Puainako Town Center with the same problem -- someone with a gun. May have been the same
Thanks for the replies, all, especially Opihikao and Taropatch - as I said, I understand the situation here very well, but appreciate being told what else was going on at the time and also that the cops did have a look for the guy once they had a chance. Totally agree that there are not enough police in Puna.

Bullwinkle, I try not to drive after sunset if at all possible as well, and suspect I have slightly younger eyes than you! Unfortunately, many of us don't have that choice and I hope that no-one ends up hitting some thoughtless, darkly-dressed guy in an unlit road they stood no chance of seeing and shouldn't be there in the first place. I can't imagine how I would feel if that happened to me. Some might suggest we need sidewalks on the HPP main roads and I wouldn't be against that at all, but my gut feeling is this guy would have been walking in the middle of the road no matter what.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Good rule of thumb:

keep vehicle speed and the stopping distance required, within the distance that your headlights illuminate at night. Most owners manuals list that archaic data ... grin

Saw the question on a dmv renewal .... good tip

Here is a hypothetical situation: A vehicle is travelling 25 miles per hour, and a pedestrian enters the roadway. It takes two seconds for the driver to see the pedestrian, decide to stop the vehicle, and then press the brake. That means the before the driver has time to react, the car has continued moving at 25 mph for 2 whole seconds. The vehicle has moved 55 feet before they even press the brake. If the car has an average stopping distance from 25 to 0 of 30 feet that means that the car will have moved a total of 85 feet down the roadway before it comes to a stop. That’s the length of 8 Toyota Camrys parked end-to-end, and that’s under perfect road conditions.

http://www.autos.com/driving-and-safety/...ent-speeds