Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Search and Rescue at Kehena
This afternoon I saw a search and rescue helicopter combing the cliffs just west of Kehena Beach. The waves were enormous. At one point divers jumped out of the copter but it looked like after a while the copter just went back and picked the 2 of them up in the chair and returned them to land. The copter continued to search.
I hope it ended ok, but with the waves like they were it looked pretty dismal. Anyone know more?

Please everyone - don't ever underestimate the mighty Hawaiian ocean. Stay safe.

I saw the helicopter when I was at Pohoiki. Monster waves for sure but the surfers were having a ball! I don't like swimming at Kehena on calm days, can't imagine anyone doing it today.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
I just heard tonight that one person drowned at Kehena and the coast guard was searching for a possible person that went in to help them.
todays, 30 yr old guy @2:41PM @Kehena, from the stories at least one person hasnt been recovered yet, will resume on Monday because of darkness

“Uncle” Manu Kakalia also died at Kehena in big surf, 4 years ago this week...

PS. unless you are world class swimmer... dont ever try to "hands on" help @ Kehena w/o flippers/fins... or they can drag you under too...
best to talk to them urging them into dark water (ie clear, no bubbles, easier to stay buoyant), lay horizontal (to reduce current drag) and then ride the swells in slowly ....or wait for someone to bring you a buoy, lifesaver, or board, etc.....

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
latest...
"RIP Arrows, drowned today at Kehena Beach. A most talented musician who was well versed in the classical piano works of Schubert, Brahms, Bach and more. He was a computer programmer and recently wrote an iPad game app for chess."
People tried to stop him from going in, but he was determined to try and save his friend Andy, who survived..

Here is the latest news story: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/20521...swimmer-on
Very sad. Now I'm curious about which "cliff" he got swept off of. If it's the one I'm thinking of, that would have to have been a huge wave to get that high. another high-surf day today so be careful out there!
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
The copter and County personnel were on the lower Puna coast all day today still searching for someone so I am not sure we have the full story yet.
they never recovered Arrow (as of Monday morning)... from my understanding Arrow went in to help save a guy named Andy, who survived. I also heard that some witnesses think others may have gone in and may not be accounted for ???

I have yet to hear from witnesses of the "swept from cliff" story in links above, and for the life of me cant think of the cliff you would be swept from, unless they mean the jumping rocks on the right side... only other cliff would be the trail down ??

Can you contact me? I am "Arrow"'s uncle. Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

they never recovered Arrow (as of Monday morning)... from my understanding Arrow went in to help save a guy named Andy, who survived. I also heard that some witnesses think others may have gone in and may not be accounted for ???

I have yet to hear from witnesses of the "swept from cliff" story in links above, and for the life of me cant think of the cliff you would be swept from, unless they mean the jumping rocks on the right side... only other cliff would be the trail down ??