Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP Road Fee $275.00
Received the bill in the mail today for the amount of $275.00 due on April 1, 2013.

I guess, we are the only fools,to continue to pay for this road fee, considering, that we have to allow the public in and all the big trucks, and we don't get any compensation, from the State, for paying the gas tax at the pump, because we are considered "Private Roads"!

I think it is time to put up a gate like Vacation Land did, and keep the public out, if they don't have a code to get in [Big Grin]

The census, says that there are 11,500 people in HPP, I think the actual number has gone up about 2K since then. So a gate even if allowed would be impractical.
But I also think that the roads do not meet the definition of private property ( right to buy, sell sell and exclude) anymore
I do not licw in HPP but aren't there businesses in there? /that ould preclude a restrictive gate.....

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Under standing law a subdivision has a six month period in which to decide to gate the community. HPP's legal opportunity passed by in late 1959.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
haha what and who are you try for keep out??
IMO, you would have to put way over 150 gates in there.... you cant have gates just at the the 4 main roads going in from hwy (its already a hellhole for traffic probs with all the cars there), they would have to be always open as I see streams of cars go down those roads all day long... you would need gates at the ends of every cross road (and cars would be backed up onto the main roads just waiting, or you buy out the lots on the ends to make a 130' gap at ends ?) and there are well over 30 cross roads and many go for 3+ miles wide (up to 6 gates ea.) going across the 3-4 main roads
then you have the old Gov Road too, and what about all the friends and relatives of HPP residents (my mom lives in there and I work there at times) and landscapers, etc. etc....
HPP (mainly mainland transfers live in there) is the most crowded subdivision on this side of island, and why gate it again who you try for keep out????? make no sense at all, lol
plus we all have legal access to the shores of Hawaii...
with all this a gated community is a pipe dream at best!
You really want to live behind gates??? just cause you upset at paying 75 cents a day to have a smooth cinder road that they spray water on so your new minivan stay all shinny and doesnt have to be washed every day Wink paranoid mainland transfer attitude IMO but not surprising ...
Maybe they just close the 4 main roads from hwy and then extend that Railroad Rd from your fav stores Walmart and Safeway into your crowded subdivision, then we other Puna residents can drive our hwy more freely w/o all those traffic signals and HPP bound traffic ???

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

Maybe they just close the 4 main roads from hwy and then extend that Railroad Rd from your fav stores Walmart and Safeway into your crowded subdivision, then we other Puna residents can drive our hwy more freely w/o all those traffic signals and HPP bound

Amen to that idea

Cheers

rainyjim
Speaking of gates, let's not forget the debacle, wasted time and money and general sheer stupidity of the infamous Ainaola/Hawaiian Acres gate a few years back!!!

look at it this way. the road fee next year will probably be over 300.00. So 275.00 is a bargain Smile

Mac nut
So, that's about 2.5 million dollars in fees? Not to mention transfer fees? Good night, that's alot of cash. And alot of responsibility; not to mention liability. Insurance must be very expensive. Did you know that a board member can be sued individually for results of it's duties. Gotta give the members kudos for volunteering in the face of that knowledge.

A realtor once suggested that Eden Roc association use the 'open lots' by building and renting or otherwise commercializing the lots. That could severely reduce individual fees and cause great improvements and I agree. I'm assuming HPP already does that in some fashion by renting out the staff building and using the proceeds in some way.

If we got some more mainland transplants, involved transplants, in this subdivision things would improve greatly. It won't happen here until the good ole boys give up and pass the torch. They need to take it to court and get legal rights and be a hoa.
I was glad to see that it went up 5% not the %10 it has been in the past, and really glad that you can take 5% off if paid before April 1. I am going to pay early to save some money.

Bonnie Lee
Bonnie Lee