Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
plastic bag ban unhealthy?
Here's a link to a story that seems to suggest that plastic bag bans can be unhealthy.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newsp...2753.story

Curious when the use of the bags started, apparently retail stores began using plastic bags in 1974, and according to Wall Street Journal the U.S. now goes through 100 billion plastic shopping bags a year!

When I look at the reusable bags people are using at the store, they are pretty beat up! Not sure I would be that consistent in frequent cleaning either! Which is why I liked the convenience of plastic bags, which can be recycled after use. KTA usually has a supply of empty cardboard boxes, I just use those for groceries! Also keep empty cardboard boxes in the trunk for future use!

http://www.handsonhemp.com/history-bags/...paper-bags
I notice many retailers are using paper bags now which are unaffected by the bag ban. I remember this is what they all used before plastic bags and the reason they switched to plastic was to save the trees. Now we're back to paper supposedly to save the environment. This is all very ironic to me.
Grocery stores switched to plastic because it was cheaper and they take up far less space, you can stack 1000 plastic bags in the space that would hold 100 paper bags. The retail industry really doesn't care about "saving trees" or any other environmental considerations, it is all about the bottom line for their investors.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I get accosted by the Walmart greeter now, to see my receipt, even though I paid the .05 cents for a plastic t-shirt bag.

eta: to keep w/the theme, that's unhealthy, mentally
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

Grocery stores switched to plastic because it was cheaper and they take up far less space, you can stack 1000 plastic bags in the space that would hold 100 paper bags. The retail industry really doesn't care about "saving trees" or any other environmental considerations, it is all about the bottom line for their investors.

Carol

I suppose that is true. Nevertheless I do recall in the 70's people were talking about a paper shortage and the need to conserve paper and trees. If you're old enough, you can remember when they used to double bag all the canned goods and heavy stuff. That's around the time when they started switching to plastic. I'm sure the public's perception that paper bags were hurting the trees had some effect on the decision to switch. If you are over 50, you must remember that environmentalism, saving the trees, whales, etc was all the rage.

Maximizing profits is the ultimate goal of all corporations, that is true. But how the public sees the company can cut into their bottom line. A bad public image means less customers. That's why they all have public relations departments. Walmart and other big retailers spend loads of money on PR.
Ive got an idea. Why not let people choose? If everyone here is so overwhelmingly pro aina and going to save it with reusable bags, thats great. Why do people think its acceptable to force people? Are you going to tell me I can't buy the trash bags I am now using instead of plastic grocery bags? Would you go up to your neighbor point a gun at them and tell them they can't use plastic?

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
What happened to the biodegradable plastic? I have them for doggy poop, they work great.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

What happened to the biodegradable plastic? I have them for doggy poop, they work great.

-Ron Paul

Why not make all plastic bags biodegradable?, the technology is already in use. Make it mandatory that they compost completely in 12 months or less. Add NPK fertilizer to the plastic for plants to grow.

There is so many long term good solutions to be explored.[:p]

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick
quote:
Originally posted by Wuzzerdad

quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

-Ron Paul

Why not make all plastic bags biodegradable?, the technology is already in use. Make it mandatory that they compost completely in 12 months or less. Add NPK fertilizer to the plastic for plants to grow.

There is so many long term good solutions to be explored.[:p]

Mahalo
Rick

How about instead of forcing people we let them choose? Your welcome to persuade and educate them to your position, but I think force is unnecessary and a lot of whats wrong with this world.

-Ron Paul