Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
time to fill up the catchments?
Also heard that Hilo only has an 18 day reserve! Wow, I thought that was a bit odd but oh well.... I kinda wonder what will really happen if the state went into a 20-30 day drought?

Tinder-dry forests, farmers out of water and empty water catchments have sparked a drought emergency proclamation for the Big Island.

Mayor Harry Kim declared the state of emergency Tuesday, saying fire danger levels have jumped from moderate to extreme in many areas, and that danger of runaway brush fires has become a major concern.

"We have a very volatile situation out there," Kim said.

With a large number of homes on rainwater catchment, water haulers can't keep up with the demand and are urging customers to make their reservations well ahead of time.

"You can imagine the predicament of having to wait sometimes 10 days to get water," Kim said.

The proclamation bans outdoor fires, except rigidly controlled blazes in approved waste burners, fires that have an approved burn plan, and fires for cooking food and heating bath water.

"We're seeing much drier conditions early on in the summer and there doesn't appear to be much relief in sight," said Fire Chief Darryl Oliveira. "We recommended a burn ban in association with the proclamation. We haven't seen a dramatic increase in fires, but it's early in the summer and we'll be seeing more camping, beach activity and barbecuing.

"We want to be proactive in prohibiting certain burning and ask for the public to be aware of the hazards."

Farm bureaus have been reporting many calls from farmers with trouble getting fresh grass and water to their stock, Kim said. The National Weather Service is forecasting more dry days ahead for the Big Island, and a mandatory 25-percent water restriction notice is in effect for the districts of South Kohala and Hamakua, from Kawaihae to Waimea, upper Paauilo and Ahualoa. Conservation notices are also in effect for North Kohala and Ka'u.

Though he's heard people talking about East Hawaii's unusually sunny weather over the past few days, Kim is mindful of the hardships that can result when the rain lets up for too long.

"It is a nice day -- if you're not on a catchment, if you're not a farmer, if you're not a rancher," Kim said.

The emergency proclamation is a necessary step to getting any state or federal assistance for drought relief, or federal reimbursement if the Big Island has to contend with runaway brush fires this summer.

Emergency responders will meet today at the Civil Defense Emergency Operations Center to review emergency plans and roles. Responders will be looking at ways to pre-position firefighting equipment where it is most likely to be needed. They will also consider having manpower on standby so workers can respond quickly in the event of wildfire.

Rain levels for March, April and May have been a fraction of normal levels. Over half of the Big Island rain gauges measured less than 30 percent of normal in May. Honokaa received 5 percent of normal, Hilo airport was 29 percent, Pahoa registered 26 percent of normal level and sites in Pohakuloa were 3 to 5 percent of normal.

It's 2 AM and is raining ever so gently here in Glenwood. What a lovely sound... the splatter of rain on themetal roof. I LOVE PUNA!!

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Aloha Pam! Woke up to the wonderful sound of rain also! Yay!

Carrie

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Still no rain out here along the coast. Sigh! The grass is getting all brown and if these eucalyptus trees should catch fire the loss of life would be appalling. Only one access road for about seventy miles of coastline, volunteer fire department and now we are low on water also.

I've heard the County Council is promoting fire lanes and not planting the trees so close to houses and things after (if) the current trees are harvested and replanted.

There have been folks coming to the water spigot to get water that don't usually show up for water. They are also filling larger containers for shower and irrigation use instead of the usual small 5 gallon jugs for drinking water.

Anybody know any rain dances?

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
I could invite my sister to come visit. She always makes it rain. No one wants to take a vacation with her. She visited in 1998 and a day after she got here it rained for the first time in about 5 months, same in 2003 - think that was 6 months or so with just occasional drizzles. I will have her rattle her rain stick.

I have heard that we will possibly be getting more normal weather soon, hope that is true. It did rain a fair amount last night. Felt wonderful and this morning all the vegetation seems much less stressed.

Ericlp,

You refered to an 18 day reserve in hilo. What reserve were you referning to?

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
R U kidding guys?! It is raining even in Kona!

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

I guess I better stop watering the lawn.
The water cops might drive by and see how green it is. But we haven't received any notice from Hawaiian Beaches Water Company to restrict use. And all for $19 a month.
It sure feels great connected to a pipe.

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
my neighbor just informed me that water rates are bumping up to $46 bucks per month in hawaiian beaches....ouch.....and thats for i think 3,000 gallons monthly

Actually it rained a bit last night and this morning...

As for the 18 day reserve for reservoir's in Hilo, The next day again watching the news they kind of hushed it like they either made a mistake or wanted to keep it quiet. I guess there are some water areas that need work or that or broken or something. I'd be a bit worried if I were a hilo resident.