Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rain!!
I know from reading on here that it rains there every once in a while (understatement like saying an atomic bomb goes pop)I was wondering how often and what times of the day is it usually raining? Is it seasonal? Where are the drier areas in the Puna area(in lava zone 3)? We are planning a move there this year and I have done a lot of research online, but nothing beats asking people who know firsthand, and you guys are the best!

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
There are drier areas, but not as easy to tell WHICH areas are drier from afar.... some of the time it is obvious by the vegetation growing...but even that has a lot of depending circumstances (ie: recent wild fire, lava flow, lack of soil, type of flow characteristics, how close to salt spray, etc...) and there are not block by block rain gauges...

Rainiest months & months with highest rainfall totals are not necessarily the same - high ave precip months are Nov then March, but there have been record rainfalls in other months, Feb & Aug have had some of the worst flood events... but monthly ave. totals swing from June at 7"+ to Nov at 15"+.... record rainfalls can be 20"+ in a day, so you can see how that can really wreck havac on the "when is it rainiest?"

most of the time the rain is intermittant... many days it can be a big puffy cloud that lays down an inch then floats on by, other times there can be a few days of constant drizzle, and rarely a few days of torrential rain, and some times there are only one or two days that have any rain & the rest of the week, no precip...

To give you an idea...clear days with a few rainy puffs of clouds are normal, clear days with rain at night are normal, light rain for a part of the day are normal, a day with 3-5" rain is not uncommon, but there most likely will not be puddles afterward... a day with 10" rains happen & you start getting some good sized puddles... a day with 12-15", low areas start having standing water....flooding starts really being a problem when you get 1-3" of rain an hour for a good portion of the day....

WOW! thanks. 10-12 inches in one day is a heck of a lotta rain!(let's not mention 20 again!) I have seen a little over 5 inches in 45 minutes once here in Illinois but that is very rare indeed!(I am 45, seen it one time!) So it sounds like I heard basically correct, most of the time it comes at night and / or early in the morning. As long as there is some sun most days is important, as in winter here, weeks of no sun, ever, are common, add in bitter cold and snow and you have a great recipe for depression and cabin fever!!

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
Some of the drier areas in Puna include Hawaiian Paradise Park, from 10th Street to the ocean, and much of the Kapoho & Kaimu area (but I think that may be lava zone 1 & 2). Not sure about Hawaiian Beaches / Hawaiian Shores, but they're only a few miles south of Paradise Park along the coast, so it may be similar. I'm in Paradise Park toward the ocean, and the rainfall is about 1/2 of what Hilo or Hawaiian Acres receives.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
We are from CHItown area, so we are familiar with what you are talking about... the rain here is different, the biggest difference is that it is hardly ever wind driven (umbrellas really do work here...& have not had a single one pop inside out since moving! - worn out & rusted out, yes!)

Also the fact that is, 20" is not as bad as it sounds! Had a friend from the Shedd visiting during one of the rainest months here ever....and it was sooo much nicer than a cold dreary dark March in the upper midwest... even on the 20" day, there were peaks of sun....it sounds amazing to think of... & you know the "we're gonna pay for this when there is good weather" feeling...well, here it is rain... a little or a lot, but NO SHOVELING!
We went to Kauai for our honeymoon (my one and only time in Hawaii, I was sold) and we stayed in Princeville which is also very wet. But it rains in the morning til about 9, then there can always be a sudden downpour from a fluffy cloud like you said, so I get that, then late every night it started up again til about 9. That wasn't bad at all. Some people on here made it sound like day after day of unending rain and drizzle and no sun. That worried me a bit. I would like to be able to grow apple bananas and mangoes at my new home, preferably find a place with them planted for 10 years. Apple bananas and saimin are worth the airfare alone to me, but I love food. Went to Hamuras on Kauai twice. You got a good saimin place there?

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
There are many places with saiman, and many different varieties...so you can slurp your way around! Apple bananas are a plant that seems to like most areas on the east side, have seen them up elevation & sea-side, drier Kalapana lava flows to the midst of the torrential rain areas.... 10 year is a huge lot o bananas.... ours have been only in for a 4 years & we have needed to thin out the plantings 2-3 times a year to get the most out of the plant....

Where we are is not a matter of choosing what to grow - EVERYTHING seems to grow here - we are working at control of the vegetation.... the other thing that is amazing is plant growth here.... it goes from growth to hyper-growth - vines can easily growth 3-4' if you leave for a long weekend.... Have had our garden gate completely overtaken during a week off..... and there is no winter to stop things... they just keep growing...
2 days in a row without rain is rare.
Upper HPP. Nuff said.

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jlgerk
Princeville is one of the richest areas of the state, Puna is the poorest. I You might want to check it out in person before committing to the move
Princeville is also at low elevation (and is within sight of the rainiest spot on the planet - the top of the mountain). Generally, the higher the elevation in Puna, the more rain you get (up to a point and only generally). After you pass Volcano and head down to Ka'u, you enter a rainshadow. There are rainfall maps on several real estate agents web sites that will give you an idea of how much, but you really have to experience it to understand it fully. In 2001, there were 32" of rain at the end of Captain's Drive in Fern Forest (3rd hand information, I never saw it myself, but it sure sounds impressive). If you ever need a break from the rain, head over Kona side and camp at that spot near Miloli'i.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike