Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HI Co chopper, kaloli side HPP
They're sweeping the HPP border with the forest reserve, the orange county chopper, at about 50 ft, from 12th to 4th. Any idea what's going on?

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
Lost hiker. HFD issued a press release about it.
spunky - Do you have a link to HFD press releases?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Per HFD this morning:
36 YO Male last seen by father at 1000 hrs Sat morning entering the forested area at the end of their road (1th Ave.). The father waited until 1700 hrs after which time he called 911 for help.
Search conducted by Rescue company personnel around the last seen area. Roadways above and below road 11 were searched by Fire Department and Volunteer Fire personnel with negative findings.
Chopper 1 will respond Sun morning to continue searching for the overdue hiker, along with on duty rescue personnel.
Thanks Spunky...
Hiking out there??? That's crazy.
It's a puka land mine zone beyond the end of the roads.
I hope they're okay and it's just an easy lesson.

Just curious, and I don't mean to be callous, but who pays for the search/rescue vibe when a person wanders off into somewhat questionable territory such as the forest reserve?

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
Tell me about these forest reserves. Hiking forest service lands on the mainland for decades, I never would have thought about caution in these forest reserves,"lands" if I desired to hike into them. So, I suspect, forest means something different here on the island??
Personally, I wouldn't hike these forests because of the heavy brush. But just curious. Thanks!

And I hope and pray the rescue responders do find a son in good condition.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
It's shipman land on that end
it would be very hard to get lost for more than an hour in that Shipman property... you can figure out which way the shore is, And follow it home.... there are some Hawaiian ruins in their, its not that thick compared to many place people really get lost in... must have been more to this, an accident? fall?

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
found him after 2 day in forest... wow is all I can say... must not have had much of a clue in the 'wilds of HPP'

http://www.hawaii247.com/2013/03/18/miss...he-forest/

That is seriously puzzling. On Saturday eve 6pm-ish the FD was at the end of 11th using bullhorns, calling out for him. Sunday morning 7am, 5 hours of helicopter searching, along the border of HPP and also into the Reserve somewhat.

And now he's found.
Was he unconscious?
Or, did he not want to be found for that period? The article says nothing of what he was doing. Hiking??? Doubtful. How could anyone miss a chopper doing what they were doing? If he was lost that would seem to me to be a beacon of direction. If he was hurt, those must be some scrapes and abrasions. If he was loaded.... well... then the wilds of HPP might be a little more... wild. ;~)

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow