DATE: Friday, March 22, 2013
TIME: 1:45 PM
PLACE: Auditorium
State Capitol
415 South Beretania Street

A G E N D A
SR 27

Status & Testimony
ENCOURAGING THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION TO WORK WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH TO DEVELOP NUTRITIONALLY-SOUND PUBLIC SCHOOL MEAL PLANS THAT GIVE STUDENTS THE OPTION OF A VEGETARIAN ENTRÉE AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK. EDU/HTH, WAM

Decision Making to follow, if time permits.

To submit testimony to the Senate Committee on Education. http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/senate.asp...l=on#panel

Testimony may be submitted up to 24 hours prior to the start of the hearing.

FOR AMENDED NOTICES: Measures that have been deleted are stricken through and measures that have been added are underscored. If a measure is both underscored and stricken through, that measure has been deleted from the agenda.

If you require auxiliary aids or services to participate in the public hearing process (i.e. ASL or foreign language interpreter, or wheelchair accessibility), please contact the committee clerk at least 24 hours prior to the hearing so that arrangements can be made.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CALL THE COMMITTEE CLERK AT (808) 587-7215.
Just my two cents but the meals here are far healthier in the schools than on the mainland. I have a very picky eater who would manage to drink gatorade and all kinds of other nasty stuff at school in Texas and cannot get his hands on it at all here! Too expensive. He has grown 3 inches in the last year at least. Also, the teachers at my other son's preschool actually make him eat veggies and drink milk- which would never happen in Texas. IN fact, I said, "oh he'll drink extra milk at home" (chocolate milk) and his teacher refused to stop forcing him to drink it at school. So, then I had the choice of having him switch schools because of this, but I thought that was pretty stupid, so I just supported the teacher and told him "you're almost in kindergarten so just deal". The main point I am making is that the people here actually care! They are not lackadasical about food here! Notice there are very few overweight kids here! Food is too expensive to be taken for granted.
I actually also like the school lunch food served here. There is a vegetarian option at keaau high, which my daughter uses all the time. She gets fruit every day and they don't "make" her take a milk like they did in Alaska. We don't "do" milk in our home.

I've seen far worse school lunches. I'm sure it can ALWAYS be better but we are very happy with the options here.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com