Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heading to Puna- photo/video pro
Considering a move to Puna. Know the area and may have an opportunity to rent. I'm a professional with lots of experience in cinema, video and still photos, and RED digital cinema (tended two of the first 100 RED cameras in the world), as well as photo editing and video/film post. I have been a cinematographer on several movies and a bunch of commercial projects on the mainland, as well as being an on-line editor. I have realistic expectations. I will have some equipment, such as cameras and some lighting. Eager to make some bucks capturing local events, portraits, AP stories, etc. Resume goes really deep if u want. Or, I'm a guy with camera and computer and aloha who just wants to buy some ono grinds. aloha
Puna is mostly DIY kind of people.Kona might be better for your business.
IF you have enough money, then you can move here and see if it works out, but I"d bring about 30k in cash with you in order to do this. YOu have to assume that you wont have any income for 6mo or a year. You'll probably have to "volunteer" doing things in the meantime to get your name out there. I also dont think there's much of a market here, but occasionally big budget movies are shot here, so I'd look into somehow getting affiliated with that, but that might require a move to CA and working- and then somehow "getting sent here on location" or something. If you view it as a "longterm vacation with the potential to somehow become permanent" then you will be fine. You might end up doing a job that is totally different than what you expected though.
There's very good grinds here.
Not so much for cash.

One other thing, you may want to bring a lot of baggies for electronic gear; the environment here is hell on that kine thing.

Smile

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
when planing a business here remember Puna is basically the poorest district in the state
And also, photos and videos degrade fairly quickly in this climate.
Filming helicopters could keep you very busy.

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jlgerk
Welcome to Puna. You'll be perfectly placed to take some good news pictures if the volcano blows its top.
quote:
Originally posted by jlgerk

Filming helicopters could keep you very busy.

You've got that right. Or even better, if he could get a nickle every time he'd catch someone in Puna saying "helicopter" on film, he'd have a million bucks in no time.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thanks y'all! Good info!