Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homes - Building & Remodeling
Aloha All, My mother suggested i get on here and hob knob and ask questions concerning my interests and such. We are planning a visit to two lots that my mother and sister purchased. They have become completely familiar to living on the island and i have all but decided to move there myself so as to build them both an affordable structure. Ive owned my own business doing all phases of construction and remodeling as well as home inspections for over 24 years in north carolina and ill be looking to begin working as soon as i arrive. i am a stand up guy who is very honest and will arrive with the utmost respect for the laws of the land and all of those before me. if anyone knows of any such opportunities plz let me know.
id love no more than to nail down some work (pun intended-lol) and or prospects once i arrive. Until Then- Mahalo
Regards jonathan Sweitzer

To be quite honest with you, it's a tough biz to break into around here. It took me months to get things rolling, and that is only because I was very blessed to meet some great people that were willing to put their trust in me and give me a chance. The market is a much smaller one than you are probably use to, unless your willing to drive to the Kona side to work, which some contractors do. Many even travel to the neighbor islands to work as well. As of yet, I've not had to do either, but if it came down to it, I would if I needed to. There is work here, but there is also alot of contractors competing for the work. I have friends on the mainland in the construction biz that ask me about moving over here, and after all that my family and I have gone through to make it work here, I tell them not even to think about moving here unless they have alot of money in the bank, and are ready to take on some major challenges. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be negative, I just belive in being honest with people, and not sugar coating things. There are reasons behind the statistics(only 25% of people who move here make it past 3 years). Good luck to you.
Aloha,
Mark

thanks mark, great advice! most of which iam aware of and can def appreciate. after listening to pertinent complaints and info my mother has read to me in the past year it suggested that some good people dealt with real horror stories with regard to work that they tried to have done. many it seemed had the simple complaint that if you call for 3 estimates one may show up if your lucky. i think if you offer good reliable work at an honest price and begin as i did 24 years ago treating people right and making it right the first time, the news spreads like wildfire. i realize i have alot to learn with regard to island life and you are only as good as your help, so ill offer the same respect and consideration for everyone i meet and or happen to employ.. Aloha jonathan
once i arrive

Mark is our contractor and we were very fortunate to find him. And, we found him right here on Puna Web. He is reliable, honest and very hard working. You should stay very close to him for future advice. Another great contact is Kapohocat that we also found on this site, she to is reliable, honest and hardworking. They have become our friends through a working relationship which you don¡¦t often find. Now if Mark would only take me fishing I¡¦m sure we would create a deeper bond.
Ha, ha ļ

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....