Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Security System
Thinking of installing some kind of home security system in our home..do any of you have any thoughts on this..good or bad experiance with any company..always interested in your thoughts and suggestions.

I've given this some thought as well. Costco has an excellent four camera system that records as well for a pricey $1200 bucks. Some other componant systems can be found online for cheaper, but this one is turnkey. A good security combination is: Fence, dogs, cameras, neighbors.

Used Alert Alarm for over 6 years, nuttin but good things to say about their service.

ALERT ALARM OF HAWAII
9 SHIPMAN STREET
HILO, HAWAII 96720
Phone: 808-935-5223

If your interested in Digital Video Surveillance? I use a wilife system, you can get the indoor start up package for around $300.00 and add the outdoor camera for 229.00. Works awesome too!

Check out this webpage for more info
http://www.wilife.com/Products/StarterKit.aspx

Watch the WiLife product tour
http://syndicate.sellpoint.net/WiLife__I...2747073000

There are many good sites to read about in terms of home alarm systems.

Some things I found while researching is to be sure the home alarm system has a remote keypad that is not integrated with the brain of the alarm. The reason is, if a thief breaks in, he/she will go straight for the keypad to disable it. The cheap home alarm systems have an integrated unit, where the keypad and siren are built into one, very easy to disable.

Be sure the connection between the brain of the alarm system and the telephone jack is hidden. Some home alarm systems have this connection in plain sight, which the thief can easily disable the communications of the alarm system to the outside world with a cut of a wire.

Stan

quote:
Used Alert Alarm for over 6 years, nuttin but good things to say about their service.

ALERT ALARM OF HAWAII
9 SHIPMAN STREET
HILO, HAWAII 96720
Phone: 808-935-5223

If your interested in Digital Video Surveillance? I use a wilife system, you can get the indoor start up package for around $300.00 and add the outdoor camera for 229.00. Works awesome too!

Check out this webpage for more info
http://www.wilife.com/Products/StarterKit.aspx

Watch the WiLife product tour
http://syndicate.sellpoint.net/WiLife__I...2747073000

Mahalo...I will check them out.

quote:

Some things I found while researching is to be sure the home alarm system has a remote keypad that is not integrated with the brain of the alarm. The reason is, if a thief breaks in, he/she will go straight for the keypad to disable it. The cheap home alarm systems have an integrated unit, where the keypad and siren are built into one, very easy to disable.

Be sure the connection between the brain of the alarm system and the telephone jack is hidden. Some home alarm systems have this connection in plain sight, which the thief can easily disable the communications of the alarm system to the outside world with a cut of a wire.

Stan

I just retired after 23 years as an officer in Calif. I have seen thousands of home burglaries and I found that it is very common for the crooks to cut the phone line and shut off the power first thing. Ok, given I live (for now) in one of the highest crime areas in the nation (Stockton, Ca) but if you want to avoid this, the alarm companies have a service called "cellular backup". This helps, along with the mentioned dog and most important, good neighbors that you know.

I have a camera system set up, bought the cameras from Amazon and Tiger Direct, they are hardwired into a computer in my garage.
4 cameras and the video capture card cost around 500 bucks.

Edited by - ricklt23 on 06/25/2007 14:10:32
thank you for your words of advice.

quote:

Stan

I just retired after 23 years as an officer in Calif. I have seen thousands of home burglaries and I found that it is very common for the crooks to cut the phone line and shut off the power first thing. Ok, given I live (for now) in one of the highest crime areas in the nation (Stockton, Ca) but if you want to avoid this, the alarm companies have a service called "cellular backup". This helps, along with the mentioned dog and most important, good neighbors that you know.

I have a camera system set up, bought the cameras from Amazon and Tiger Direct, they are hardwired into a computer in my garage.
4 cameras and the video capture card cost around 500 bucks.

Edited by - ricklt23 on 06/25/2007 14:10:32

We upgraded the already installed All Island Alarm system to have motion sensors. The previous owner had a pressure alarm on the front porch. After all of that, we find that we are rarely both out of the house at the same time and even when we do go out together, we don't set the alarm. There are some burglaries in our general area that seem to happen in waves until the perpetrators are caught.

We are considering discontinuing the service, however. It's somewhat like insurance; you're not sure if you're going to need the service, but you pay for it just in case...

Our neighbors have a dog who works overtime, barking when people drive into our driveway (we're back-to-back)!

The funniest thing about our alarm system is that we knew what it sounded like before it was reactivated. Our neighbors have an African Grey Parrot who blurts out our alarm sound every now and then, along with dozens of other sounds and voices.

(Johnnycake, it's not necessary to quote a whole posting if all you are doing is thanking the poster. Addressing their user name will let them know what you're thanking them for. It's only a minor bother, though. I just find myself reading through the post again, looking for your comment on a specific point in the post.)

Edited by - Les C on 06/25/2007 23:04:57
(Johnnycake, it's not necessary to quote a whole posting if all you are doing is thanking the poster. Addressing their user name will let them know what you're thanking them for. It's only a minor bother, though. I just find myself reading through the post again, looking for your comment on a specific point in the post.)

haha, I thought it was a double post till I read it again.... Sigh....

Hmmm, we use to watch the neighbors Mina Bird... He use to say "I can talk can you fly???" Birds are pretty funny on the sounds they will pick up! Saw a piece on night line that some sort of bird was imitating a chain saw was in the amazon forest... Sorry for going off topic...

Add motion sensor lights to the list of effective security equipment. I installed them on all four corners of the house. It's a comfort to know if anything is inside the fence at night, I'll be made aware of it.