Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New restaurant opening in Pahoa tomorrow
I stopped by Nevaehs today off of 130 right before Pahoa town (the old Pooki's Cookies location)and found out they are doing their soft opening tomorrow starting at 11 am and will be open until 9:00 pm.

Their chef is an award winning gentleman from the Travel Channel that is famous for his BBQ. I must admit it smelled GREAT! They are a BYOB since they do not currently have a liquor license.

My wife and I are going to stop in either Friday or Saturday to check the place out. We'll let you know what we think about the atmosphere and how the food was. If anyone else stops in please post your thoughts.
Interested to hear about their ribs. Please do let us know how the food is. Thanks.
Also find out if the name of the chef is Ben...mahalo
deej
"Today I am better than yesterday, but not as good as I will be tomorrow."
We ate at this place today. Here is a pic of the food we ordered: http://www.e-z-caps.com/images/BBQ.jpg

It was tasty. Unfortunately, they do not take credit or debit cards (cash only) so we had to order and split one entree as we didn't know this and were limited to cash on hand. As it turned out, this was a GOOD thing because the portion sizes are so large we both shared the one entree and still took food home. (Warning: They have the Visa/MC logo on their door, possibly a leftover from a previous tenant at that location- does not mean that they take plastic)

We had the "combo" meal which included pork ribs, pulled pork, and chicken. It was under $19.00. We had the option of 1/2 chicken or pulled chicken. We went on the waitress recommendation and got the pulled chicken. Next time we would get the 1/2 chicken as the pulled portion was not 1/2 a chicken and it included skin. The combo meal came with Texas toast and two sides. There were a LOT of sides to choose from (they didn't have any of their deep fried options available because they aren't fully open yet, but there were still lots of choices) We opted for the BBQ standards of baked beans (they were awesome, big chunks of pork and lots of FLAVOR) and cole slaw (it was OK. Not much dressing so either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you roll). We added on corn bread for $2.50. All the meats on the combo meal were "dry" meaning not sauced but there was a big thing of their DELICIOUS homemade BBQ sauce on the table so one is allowed to choose how much sauce they want. The chicken had a great roasted flavor all on its own. The pulled pork definitely needed the BBQ sauce to shine. The ribs were great both with and without the sauce. The cornbread was cornbread. Nothing special about it, and the same could be said of the Texas toast.

We liked the atmosphere of this place. It was clean, open, breezy, naturally lit, and makes one feel comfortable. I think this place is going to make it, especially once they can start accepting 20 and 21st century payment options, can sell beer, and get a full menu. We will definitely be going back. Unless it goes downhill it's the type of place you'll want to take your friends/family to when they come to visit from the mainland or neighboring islands. Definitely recommend.
terracore the name was Navaehs (spelled?) BBQ and when we were there I heard the waitress say they just didn't have the machine set up yet. I believe they are planning on accepting plastic.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Thanks for the write-up terracore, I look forward to trying it!
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Great write-up terracore, mahalo. Looking forwards to trying it out next month when we get there. May be a good place to take the oldest daughter for her 28th belly button day.
deej
"Today I am better than yesterday, but not as good as I will be tomorrow."
Thanks for the write-up terracore, much appreciated. Looking forward to trying it out.
We didn't make it out until today but I am glad that we did. The customer service is EXCELLENT and everyone is extremely friendly! I would no sooner take a drink of my water and they were already filling it back up.

The portion sizes are very large and the prices are very reasonable in my opinion. We had the BBQ pulled pork, brisket and quesadillas along with some Texas toast. I must say that everything that we had was excellent. I honestly don't have anything bad to say. I actually thought the Texas toast was really good too.

As Terracore stated they have a really nice atmosphere and feel to the place and it's open and breezy and their BBQ sauce is second to none in my opinion. I would definitely recommend checking the place out.

As long as they keep up the excellent customer service and their portion sizes I think they will have no issues staying open.

They should be able to start taking credit cards sometime next week is what they told me.
Mahalo for the post! We moved here some 20 years ago, and we LOVE ribs! Pulled pork is our favorite. So good to know--mahalo plenty and can't wait to check it out!