Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeowners Insurance
Please let me know any opinions you may have about the homeowners insurance companies in Hawaii and which companies may have the lowest rates. Mahalo!
I wonder about places like leilani estates, really pretty, but lava zone 1! Is there anyone willing to insure that? I don't have the guts to buy there, but just have an inquiring mind.

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
Lloyd's of London insures in lava zone 1.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by sistersue

Please let me know any opinions you may have about the homeowners insurance companies in Hawaii and which companies may have the lowest rates. Mahalo!

One of the worst things in life (for me anyway) is shopping around for insurance. I use State Farm (right in Keaau), switched from Allstate - comparable coverage for much less. Still can't beat USAA for auto though.
I've used brokers for business insurance, the only problem is getting service as they might use out of state providers.
We pay $325.00 every 3 months using Universal
property/casualty on home in Nanawale.
I think that's a crazy amount. But at least we have
peace of mind knowing are ascents --(hum? is that how you spell it)
are somewhat protected.
That is not that bad. I think I was paying about 110.00 a month on a home in St. Paul MN valued at 120K.
quote:
Originally posted by sputnut

I wonder about places like leilani estates, really pretty, but lava zone 1! Is there anyone willing to insure that? I don't have the guts to buy there, but just have an inquiring mind.

comin' your way soon!

I am going to live/build in Leilani Estates. And if Madam Pele wants my house then she can have it, and I will find another. [Wink]

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
Most insurance agents in Hilo can write a homeowners policy using HPIA as the carrier. I think a $350K policy is about $2300. a year. It's high so many in Leilani don't carry homeowners. Lava zones were mapped quite a while ago and not for insurance companies but they use them. Lava is not high on our list of concerns and all things considered Leilani is good fit for us. Insurance rates keep climbing due to losses from the severe weather incidents on the mainland, from hurricanes, tornados, flooding, and fires. Thankfully none of those have had much of an impact here.

Jay
Jay
Why isnt concern about lava high on the list? I've spoken to some expert people who told me that a steam vent could easily open up right inside of leilani. I think this means that potentially deadly gas would be released. Possibly there would be enough warning, so that people could evacuate, but still, it seems to be a worrisome idea.
I take some comfort in the ongoing release up the coast from here. If that were to stop then you have to wonder where it might show up next. But in 1984 lava from Moana Kea was just six miles from Hilo. I suppose it's a question of what the chances are, the odds, and we chose a place where we liked the neighborhood, the neighbors, the weather, the community association, the lot size, the odds, and a few other things. But I do have insurance like I always have had. I hear about traffic fatalities but steam vents, not so much. I try to keep the things I worry about down to a managable number.

Jay
Jay