Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squatter and Crime
Are there a lot of people who squat in the jungle and steal or panhandle? Is this legal on park land? I guess there are homeless encampments everywhere in the USA. In Salt Lake City they have taken over a hot spring just outside of downtown. It is a constant back and forth between the cops and the people in the camp. There is a fair amount of this in Northern California as well from what I hear. Mostly they grow pot.

Please know that I am accustomed to living in houses and buying or growing my own food. I will be moving to Hawaii with plenty of money and a plan for moving back to SLC if I don't find a job in a year.

Thanks!
Had a group a three arrested today on 5th in HPP on a property that's been abandoned. It's a junky old house with lots of junk cars. The owner moved to the mainland. And neighbors complained when lots of traffic was going into and out of the place But knowing how things work...they will probably be released tomorrow and right back in the house.
YES
quote:
Originally posted by Hanley

Are there a lot of people who squat in the jungle ...

The original inhabitants of HAWAII were basically "jungle squaters." But then a lot of Europeans came and started drawing lines on papers and the land and got rid of the Hawaiian queen and made LAWS against those who "squat in the jungle."

PS: It's good that you informed us you are accustomed to living in houses — we were worried.

The Hawaiian society before Captain Cook stumbled across the Hawaiian Islands was a complex society that had a highly sophisticated system of land division and use. Every inch of the land was under the control of specific individuals for who allowed use of the land for community purposes; instead of lines on paper they used rock walls to delineate boundaries. There were several centuries of bloody inter island wars fought over control of the land until Kamehameha took all the land under his control.

The Hawaiians were hardly "jungle squatters."

You can find a basic description of the land divisions here: http://www.hawaiihistory.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=ig.page&CategoryID=299

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Thank you, Carol!
csgray
Nice site and summary of land system: Although there was no private ownership of property, land tenure of the maka`ainana (commoners) was stable. They paid weekly labor taxes and annual taxes to the konohiki, or local overseer, who collected goods to support the chief and his court. The konohiki supervised communal labor within the ahupua`a and also regulated land, water and ocean use.

Not unlike the royalty, landed gentry and serf arrangement prior to the Magna Carta in the west.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam-I-Am

The original inhabitants of HAWAII were basically "jungle squaters." But then a lot of Europeans came and started drawing lines on papers and the land and got rid of the Hawaiian queen and made LAWS against those who "squat in the jungle."

PS: It's good that you informed us you are accustomed to living in houses — we were worried.

It's a shame you are so uninformed with bigotry. It is worrying that such ignorance still exists in a time when we have access to so many tools of communication and education.

http://www.hawaiihistory.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=ig.page&CategoryID=299
Not getting the details of Hawaiian society right is NOT bigotry. Announcing your arrival to the islands and condemning those people are too poor, due to the destruction of the economy, to buy a comfortable "house" IS bigotry.

Those squaters, those living on park land, those in encampments (not a house LIKE I LIVE IN), those who have taken over a hot springs -- because they're freezing to death probably -- those who grow pot which I smoked many years ago and which has grown on this planet for millions of years.

And it's ALL referred to as "this."

We don't want "this," do we.

Let's get "this" out of Hawaii so we house dwellers can be safe and comfortable.

@ Adam-I-Am, Its seems maybe your post I quoted was misunderstood on my part, that at first it seemed like you were using "jungle squaters" as derogatory, but now it seems you were using it to as a simplified description of the lifestyle here in the islands that focuses more on immediate needs and function of shelter and less of building codes and aesthetics. I agree with you on that, that there need to be way more public involvement in solving the social, economic needs of those that struggle with periodic or continual homelessness. Marginalizing people into re-victimization from constantly blaming past historic political changes of systems does nothing towards solving it.