Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When are da mangos ready for scoopin'?
... Was wondering if anyone on here could answer me this: when are the mangos on Opihikao and/or Pohoiki Road(s) ripe and fallin' off da trees?? It's kinda a journey for me, but I'm slightly addicted to mangos and would LOVE LOVE to scoop a couple freebies. Thanks I'm advance! ~ ALOHA ~
Are you asking when is the best time to trespass and steal private property? On an open forum?
Picking up fruit along the roads is fairly traditional here if it is for personal use. If someone has trees that are well laden you can ask if you can pick some for them and for yourself. Some of the owners are elderly and might welcome the help. Do it with some appreciation. Taking everything to sell at a farmer's market is stealing.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Quite often I have seen people gleaning the common mangos that
fall along the wayside from those beautiful old trees. I never considered
It stealing if the trees are almost in the road. It seems as if
there is more than one season for those trees. Many were on the
ground about 2 months ago. These mangos have very large
seeds in relation to the small amount of fruit but they are very
sweet.
before answering with 'trespassing/stealing from private property' do YOU even know the 2 rural lower Puna roads she asked about and the trees there?

Its obviously not stealing if your picking up mangos from the ground/road that would be smashed by cars all day, and FYI these large old trees were planted before the road was paved through .... the trees are unique as they are on and really a part of the roadway in reality

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
It's only "not trespassing" where the road is bone fide "public", not always guaranteed.
Mangos have a short timeframe for optimum edibility. Once they are overripe there are millions on the ground and folks might be obliged if you cleaned them out from under there tree so long as u leave the good ones. I think they make a good preservative/marinade for pig or axis deer. Otherwise nobody wants the yellow soft pulpy leftovers. First gotta make sure to clean off the ratworms and the more common fly larvae. Then scoop the pulp and mash it and mix into the meat.
If you were asking when not where... our tree fruited the last 8-10 weeks and is done almost for the moment... but lots of brand new buds so I am going to think about 2-3 months and a whole new crop of mangoes.
Cat to da rescue! Cyasoon
Had a dream last night that my trees were fruiting, and am taking that as a good sign.

Living on the side of creation.
Living on the side of creation.