Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Camping" on my property?
I have a vacant lot South of Kona that I would like to sell. I do not live on the Big Island. I have a 20' private pole access road up to the property, and I noticed a couple of years ago the neighbor was allowing someone to live in tents and cars on the edge of the property. He even had a couple of goats. It was not a good thing visually for a potential buyer but it was on the neighbor's property so I let it go. Now I have learned that there is another "camping" area set up with tarps, cars, etc that is actually on a portion of my road, barely leaving enough room for a car to drive up to my property pad. Previous attempts to get the homeowner to move stuff off my road has not worked. What suggestions do you have?
file a complaint with the county
If the "Neighbor" is using your land...why not bill him for the use & file that with the county...and OFFER TO SELL HIM THE LAND HE IS USING...

It does sound like he is doing things to establish "adverse possession" - although that is not real easy to do in this state & involves more than living on someone elses' land...it is best to nip this...It is also NOT legal in this county to camp on your (or your neighbors) land....and I would be very concerned on the sanitary conditions, as the county does have regulations on sanitary waste handling

It is also very probable that just sending someone to visually document the encroachment may be enough to have the camper move on...esp if copies are sent to the landowner & the county...with a bill for the use of the land...
Sell it cheap "as is"
Yep... CHEAP "AS IS". Otherwise it's a hassle to go through all the problems to "EVICT" squatters especially if you are not here to make sure everything gets done so they don't return.

Maybe post it on CL or even here ... I am sure someone will make you an offer.
Get it staked and fenced in the same day...
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
I found this info when I was thinking about moving my RV to hawaii. After 30 days they have to go....I would verify your land survey points and call the police for trespassing.

Chapter 25 4-10 defines the requirements. “Section 25-4-10. Mobile dwellings.

All mobile dwellings shall conform to the County building code (chapter 5 of this Code), and the Public Health Housing Code (chapter 2 of the State public health regulations), exceptSad1) When parked in a licensed mobile home park; or
(2) When occupied for dwelling or sleeping purposes outside of a licensed mobile home park for less than thirty days in any one location. (1996, Ord. No. 96-160, sec. 2; ratified April 6, 1999.)”25

just post it for sale on craigslist. all the attention the lot gets, with drive bys and questions directed at them (since they're on the lot) are probably not what they signed up for - and they will leave.

better yet... put the squatters possessions up for sale on craigslist!
Send in some pin finders to flag the corners with the message that a D-9 will be coming to grub the lot in a week or so. You need the pin flags anyway and the message can be delivered for free.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator