Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii Social Host Liability Law changing 7/1/13
Hawaii has had one of the stronger Social Host Liability laws since 2003, mainly effecting those who knowingly supply alcohol to underage people.

On July 1, 2013, this law is changing to further strengthen it, and the now those who do not KNOW they are supplying alcohol to those underage persons can also be liable for accident/injury or death done.

I am posting this as it can affect all of us that may have occasion to have underage people in our house. If they obtain alcohol from your house, even if you are unknowing of this, and there is property damage, injury or death resulting from this alcohol, you could be liable...and your home policy probably will not cover it...
News link:
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/22628...r-property
Thankyou for the info Carey. Given that our US society doesn't exactly teach responsible drinking, then I suppose we need the laws and we'd all better be educated about them...
This is good to know for those who have kids coming over. I would not be surprised that if underage burglars steal your booze you are also liable. That's the illogical extension of the American sueage system.
Sounds like the only safe action is not allow underage and alcohol in your house at same time.

I was recently at a gathering and witnessed a young neighbor with a glass of wine, his parents were aware, but I don't know if the homeowners/hosts were. I also know that when I host I am not 100% aware of everything, so I guess I'd end up being responsible for something I had neither knowledge or control. Really dislike feel good laws that don't make sense.
Too bad we can't expect actual responsibility.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
Yeah, I dont exactly understand the way things are in this country. When I was driving through Italy and France, I would stop at a rest area. Over there, they are really nice and have a little restaurant with a salad bar. I will never forget the day, at about 11am when I looked around at the other tables, and realized that every other table had a carraf of wine on it! I then watched many, many middle aged and elderly people- who looked perfectly responsible- drink their wine, and then go get in their cars and go speeding down the highway! I suppose this changed my viewpoint on alchohol, and legislating it, forever. I have a teenager in the house, so I'll just try and abide by the rules imposed on our household here, but they do seem a bit arbitrary.
Only in America are adults considered to be "underage"