Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What can I give to Hawaii?
Aloha!

My partner was talking to her guru/teacher about our future move to the islands and he offered an interesting perspective. He pointed out that recent Hawaiian history is one of colonization and exploitation. In his experience many people move to Hawaii looking to see what they can get out of it rather than what they can contribute. This only brings suffering to earth and will most likely not please Pele.

I'd like to hear some perspectives on what a mainlander can bring to the islands. My passions are soil, agriculture/permaculture, psychology, and sobriety. Hopefully I will be involved in growing healthy soils and food to heal what ails us.

Mahalo Smile
Hmmm, we could really use an affordable class action lawyer.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Really Rob? Who ya gonna sue? Smile

We could use some positive aloha! Smile
Are you coming with resources, able to support yourself and family or find a way to get your share of what's already here?

I think if you do a thorough search, you'll find this has been discussed before, not a new perspective.

So what what is your contribution?

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
The gifts and interests you listed are skills that are needed and can be put to good use here. All new comers bringing investment capital and cash flow help keep the economy flowing.
Rob, law is not my gig....

Eric, I love the perspective!

David, I will bring a good chunk of money with me. Enough to either rent and live on for a year +, or maybe enough to buy some property. Beyond that I will need to find work or start a business. No matter where we are we have to take from earth. Of course I will be eating the food from Hawaii's soils and depositing fresh compost in return. I listed some skills and passions of mine, hopefully they can be of benefit. What search term would you suggest?

Thanks for the replies so far Smile
What can you give to Hawaii??? JOBS & tax money...I kid... but not really by much...

If you are coming here with enough money to invest in the land, the start-up & all of the housing for workers for your farm - then what you state you would like is reasonable in the "I am giving something to Hawaii...

if you want to use someone else's land & have them support you while you establish your dream on their land....well, there are a lot of people here & dreaming to be here that share your vision, and there are places for WOOFers & such here, BUT you will be more serving your dream for YOURSELF & YOUR PARTNER...not giving something TO Hawaii...

And PLEASE educate yourself to the WHOLE of Hawaii, the geology, the climatic conditions, and ALL of the issues, not just one gurus perspective...IF you really want to serve the best for this beautiful island..
Bring good well paying jobs ... there is a traditional shortage ... or figure on contributing to the economy in one way or another.....

or come with a degree in education and teaching skills... we need both
I think we need a new chief of police. Ever try your hand at law enforcement ?
To the police chief's credit - havent seen any one shot for driving while minority or evading law enforcement out here - I'll take the trade off

oportunity in the police department exists and there are a lot of inter island jr pilots building time for the majors - many of them fly helicopters as well - there are jobs

bottom line bring skills that are in demand - do your home work.... or be prepared to move back in about two years....