Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaving car overnight at Waipio
I know it's not a good idea to leave your car at the overlook parking lot at Waipio, but my stepson just told me that you can pay the art gallery there $15 a night to leave your car in their lot. Has anyone tried that? He wants to camp down in Waipio Valley, but doesn't have 4WD.
Whick art gallery? If in Honokaa its about 15 minutes more north from there. Probably a better option than leaving the car in the public parking area but no guarantee. I believe camping on the beach is allowed w/ a permit but not in the valley or private land. Alternately the night before maybe stay at a bed breakfast near there and have them drop off pick you up at the Waipio Valley parking.

Peruse this site for more information on camping and contact the proper agency for a permit.
http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/accom/biccfr.htm
Yes, we might just drop them off. They might opt for a day trip anyway, but just looking into it. No, the gallery isn't in Honokaa. It's right at the top -- where the road bends to the left to go to the lookout, you go right. It's a very nice gallery. I hear from a friend that camping's not allowed in Waipio, only in Waimanu by permit. Thanks for the link!
A Waimanu Valley trip would be a much more exciting adventure than just walking down the road to Waipio and camping on the beach.

Most people consider it to be a difficult hike, I didn't think of it being too bad at all. Just don't bring a heavy pack. The camp sites are rocky so an inflatable bed helps. Drinking water can be a problem so he'll want to bring something to treat the waterfall water with.

Permits are free and easy to get.

He'll never forget the time he hiked into Waimanu.

Anyone else been?

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
Excellent. Thanks!

Waimanu.... follow the permit process 100% and stay in the assigned campsite ....its there for an important reason ie so they know who is at which camp site and how many so they can fly into the valley to rescue you when there is another tsunami

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
If it is a locally generated Tsunami, no helicopter is going to get to you in time for a rescue. If you are in Waimanu Valley and the earth starts shaking, you'd better RUN towards the back of the valley and start making your way up the north wall as fast as you can.

If the wave is coming down from Alaska, you won't hear any warning sirens. You are too far away and the surf is too loud. You'd better hope someone in the Park Service thinks to check to see if there are campers in Waimanu AND there is a helicopter available to at least warn you if not pick you up.

How did it go?
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile