Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$9.97 ceiling fan at HD
They have these in stock at the Hilo HD (we got the brown one)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-F...dmnzbR6fok

Here's the link to the $40 Hawaii energy rebate, bringing the net cost of the fan down to $9.97 (subject to fund availability)

http://www.hawaiienergyefficiency.com/me...-FINAL.pdf

I had never installed a ceiling fan before, but the instructions were unusually easy to follow, and it took less than an hour.

The light kit, remote control, etc, are available for separate purchase.
Be sure to install a fan box in the ceiling before you attach the fan. A regular electrical box won't stabilize it enough.
not bad for 10 bucks after a rebate...

Tho in Hawaii ... a few things to look into...

1) indoor and outdoor operation is always a good thing. Motors are built better and are sealed. Most of the time with 100% humidity / salt in the air these fans won't hold well if you are in a wet environment if they aren't rated for outdoor use.

2)Fan Blades --- Those particle board pressed wood blades will droop over time. Try to get Plastic Blades ... I've noticed the cheaper the fan the sooner it happens. If you have white or whatever color blades you got... Get some outdoor high quality paint and paint that will match the color of the blades, put a couple of coats around the edges of the blades ... Will make your fan blades last 10X longer.

3) energy efficient. Well, this fan has at least that going for it. Most fans (these days) are energy efficient unless they come with a light fixture and use small incandescent dimmable bulbs. But if you don't use the light kit then it will stay energy efficient and if you do use a light kit install fluorescent or LED bulbs.

quote:
Originally posted by Oregon Woodsmoke

Be sure to install a fan box in the ceiling before you attach the fan. A regular electrical box won't stabilize it enough.

Ahem: be sure your licensed electrician installs a fan box, after they file for the required permits, because it's illegal for "ordinary people" to engage in such work.