Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sour dough bread
My hubby is very sad because he cannot find sourdough bread.
Like a Columbo style.
We find bread labeled sourdough, but it just seems to doughy.
They had a good one at Safeway for awhile, but it is gone now.
Any suggestions?
There is a French bakery on the Kona side: Palani French Bakers.

They bring the goodies to Sunday market at Makuu.

It's the real stuff.
have you ever tried baking it yourself? it's literally the easiest bread to make.

here's a recipe molly uses:

http://earthstar.newlibertyvillage.com/s...recipe.htm
I made my own starter using organic rye flour and pineapple juice, it was really easy, and gets better every time I use it.

Rye flour makes the best sourdough starter, especially if you like it really sour. You just put flour in a bowl, add pineapple juice and stir until it is smooth with no lumps, then cover the bowl with a plate. Stir it every time you walk by, add a few heaping tablespoons more flour every morning, and more pineapple juice as needed to keep it fluid. Do this for about a week, or until it is bubbling and smells like sourdough. Then put it in a jar in the back of your frig until you are ready to use it. When you want to use it, take it out 12 hours in advance, stir in enough more flour and water to double your starter as well as to "feed" the starter, and let it sit at room temperature in a covered bowl. Divide in half, saving half as your starter for next time and use the rest. If you starter separates into a dark liquid in your frig do not panic, just stir it in, or pour it off and add water.

This starter makes great sourdough rye peasant bread, sourdough french rolls, and killer pancakes!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
KTA has good sourdough baguettes in brown paper wrappers on the left wall as you come in the bakery door, crunchy crust, chewy inside, closest to real San Francisco sourdough I've found on this island. They used to have a good ciabatta too, but sadly that has disappeared.

I am so much more like I am today than I ever was before!
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
KTA sells whole sliced Sourdough and Farmers Breads from MAMANE BAKERY in WAIMEA, half loaves of the MB sourdough bread are in the bakery on top of the glass pastry cases. It is good sourdough, if I don't use the breads up before the expiration date, I freeze it, as it has no preservatives and will mold!

COST-U-LESS also sells MAMANE BAKERY BREADS but carries more varieties, including sourdough baguettes and ASIAGO CHEESE BREAD which makes great toast.
And if you really need San Francisco sourdough, google around and find that local starter.
Different starters, different yeast, different flavors.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
Short and Sweet bakery in Hilo also has sourdough bread, I haven't tried it but everything else they make is good, and as a former professional baker I'm pretty picky about baked goods. Their cinnamon swirl bread is amazing!

I started baking my own when I opened a brand new $7 loaf of high quality organic whole grain bread and it had started molding before I even had the first piece. I can bake a comparable loaf for right around a buck and I know exactly what goes in it.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Have you tried the sourdough at the Bread Box store in Keaau, across from the middle school?