Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carjacking This Morning - Suspect Being Sought
Heads up, this guy has a Puna address, last seen up Mauna Kea Visitor Center area. Chopper One is headed out. He's supposedly armed with a gun, waved it at people from the car he crashed. Damn. [Sad!]

FYI: (*Note - Credit to Big Island Now)

http://bigislandnow.com/2013/07/30/woman...collision/

Police are looking for a 2007 white Honda sedan following a carjacking this morning on Kilauea Avenue in Hilo.

The incident started when a 32-year-old Kurtistown woman was driving toward downtown on her way to work.

At about 7:45 a.m., a car ran through a stop sign from West Ohea Street and ran into the side of the vehicle directly in front of the woman. The resulting collision forced her and other cars behind her to stop.

The woman told Big Island Now that her first response was to grab her cellphone to take a picture of the crash.

But then she noticed the driver of the vehicle that had run the stop sign climb out of the window of his car.

The suspect approached her vehicle, opened the passenger side door and got into her Honda, saying, “They’re trying to kill me, they’re trying to kill me.”

At about that time, police began arriving at the scene and the man reached over toward the woman, at which point she got out of the vehicle. The man then climbed into the driver’s seat.

Meanwhile, police approached the vehicle, which was still running and in park, and pointed weapons into the windows, ordering the man to exit the vehicle.

Instead the man put the vehicle into gear and maneuvered his way around the officers and fled down Kilauea.

The suspect said she did not see the man with any weapons and was unhurt in the incident.

“I’m just so glad I didn’t have my kids in the car,” she said, noting that at that time of the day she often has her 4-year-old son strapped into a car seat in the back seat to be dropped off at school.

The victim described the suspect as a local man in his late 20s or early 30s, with tattoos. She said he was shirtless and wearing shorts and slippers.

The vehicle, a four-door sedan, had license number HHN 082.

Police said the vehicle was last seen on Saddle Road.

Police said the occupant may be armed and dangerous and should not be approached.

If seen, call 911, police said.
so he is considered armed and dangerous, the police had him, had weapons drawn on him, and let him drive away? i just dont understand the local cops at all. at the very least, shoot out the tires...
Update:

HCPD located vehicle still up Saddle Road (Double lanes area Mauna Kea access road; Hilo side). Suspect on foot.

Chopper one proceeding with caution to area.

Don't think he'll make it to Puna without vehicle. Disregard the "heads up". Damn, hope they catch him quick. JMO.

lquade: I guess shooting out the tires would put others in jeopardy if the cops miss. Traffic was backed up both ways at the time. this kid has some b*&%s!
Whats up with all the gun stuff?There was at least 5 or 6 gun releated things from home invasion,drive by shooting and carjacking in last 2 weeks.I only live here full time for a couple years but been coming for four years It seems like things are sure changing with the gun stuff.There was always crime but not this gun stuff getting scary.This island is getting as bad Oahu or big main land citys.Any body have idea whats going on

jrw
jrw
Yeah, the gun stuff was unheard of for just about forever around here. What I think is going on is that mainlanders have been moving here and bringing their guns with them. When their homes get burglarized the guns fall into the hands of dummies with little or no experience or sense. Heady stuff getting your hands on a handgun.... just like the movies.

Unfortunately I can't think of how to reverse this trend.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
FYI: Update - Police Identify Suspect

http://bigislandnow.com/2013/07/30/woman...collision/

(*Snipped - More at link; Picture included)

Police identified the suspect in the carjacking as Jeremy Todd Rios.

He was described as 5-foot-7 and 170 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

He has multiple tattoos including one on his throat depicting brass knuckles.

SO disturbing. Poor woman whose car he took. WTH is going on???

Mr. Tucker, I believe you are accurate in your statement. Add to that the lack of respect, morals, values, compassion, doing the right thing, etc. Basic human decency is GONE with these people. (SMH)
Don't look to the government to help.
They pretty much suck at anything 'safety' or 'firearm'.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
Rob, I have talked to people who have said when they moved to Hawaii, they brought their guns, they also had no intention of registering them! (conspiracy theories?)
That creates the problem, if their homes are burglarized, they can't report missing weapons!
So its mainlanders bringing unregistered guns, and gun violence is higher then ever! All contradicted by fact.
quote:
HawaiiReporter.com

Hawaii firearms registrations shot up more than 70 percent in 2012, while gun violence continued a four-year decline, according to a new state Department of the Attorney General report.
“While there has been a tremendous increase in firearm registration activity in Hawaii since 2000, the annual trends for both the number of firearm-related violent crimes and the proportion of violent crimes involving firearms relative to other weapon types remained stable within a low and narrow range through 2007, and decreased substantially from 2008 through 2012, during which time registration activity increased the most sharply,” the Department of the Attorney concluded.
http://www.hawaiireporter.com/hawaii-fir...t-jump/123

Its not Hawaii related, but you will find the same statistics nationwide, with the worst gun violence in gun control cities. Law abiding citizens who own guns keep us safe, the criminals will always have access to the guns no matter the laws. This is common sense as verified by numerous statistics. Gun control would be just as successful and stupid as marijuana prohibition has been. More crimes are stopped by law abiding citizens with guns then any other defensive weapon, what do you think the Police are using to combat the ever shrinking amount of violent crime in this country and on this island? Hopefully they don't start using their quarter of a million dollar armored personal carrier the Lenco Bearcat with its giant door busting gas cock, things might actually start getting more violent around here.
http://sav-cdn.com/sites/default/files/i...earCat.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6bBXOqy.png
Why do people equate sensible gun laws(like Hawaii's) with prohibition.

Do they think a driver's road test and abstract equals banning automobiles?