Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KTA in Pahoa?
Check this out:

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections...w-kta.html

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
YEah, when I read it earlier, I was pissed that ORchidland passed on this.
Orchidland didn't have a choice; the PCDP (as available and where convenient) tries to prevent "sprawl" by creating "commercial centers" which are "off the highway".

This benefits "certain local landowners" who have the "right kind" of property, unless they simply don't want to develop it (as with some areas in Puna makai), in which case it denies any potential benefits of development.
Thanks for the explanation, and it is all just extremely annoying. I'd really like to avoid the environment that I experienced in Texas when I had to get in the car and drive to absolutely everything!
Meh.
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
Unknown Julie, I am just curious if I read what you typed or meant correctly. You moved here, knowing what was available (sounds like it was similar to Texas) and now you are complaining about what is available (even though you knew it was like this) or that you would like it developed more? Did I misread what you typed? If that is the case, why wouldn't you just move to Hilo?

Please note, I am not attacking you or trying to start anything I am simply asking a question if I read that correctly or not. I know a lot of people on here lately have been attacking each other and it's quite annoying. I am simply asking a question and not attacking you.
quote:
Originally posted by dragon2k

Meh.

I'm kinda with you. What's a week without one big town trip to Hilo and run all your errands?

Is Pahoa going to become the new Waimea?
People need Pahoa to be super developed like Hilo? Why? Because Hilo is so very far away? Please. A bunch of mainland convenience nuts waiting to be catered to. With local landowners only too happy to cash in...
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
I personally moved out here for the seclusion. However, when I lived on the mainland we lived out in the middle of nowhere and within 5 years urban sprawl hit the area it was like living in New York city as far as I was concerned. Our two lane road became a six lane road an there were at least six huge shopping centers within 3 miles.

When I moved out here, I didn't want the same thing to happen. I can't control development but I can control what is built next to me. Over the years I purchased the lots next to me. So I should at least always have that privacy.

I really don't understand why a trip into Hilo is such a big deal. However, that's just my personal opinion.
I'm retired and get into Hilo 3-4 times a week to do a workout at my gym (Aloha Fitness). When I'm there I'll do any shopping or errands I need to do. I ride a 200cc scooter with a cargo box on it, so I have to plan well that I can carry everything I get. My gym is 12 miles each way. My scooter gets about 85mpg. Keaau is 6-7 miles each way. Pahoa is 6. I have ridden my bicycle to Pahoa and Keaau and back, and home once so far from Hilo. I was amazed how quickly I got from my gym to my house on the bicycle.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP