Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Geothermal Energy Hawaii - pros vs. cons
Is it possible to compile such a list amongst members on this forum?
The pros and cons may extend into reasonable applications/resultants.
Make a list and post it on this thread and be reasonably creative.

- Armed citizens provide security of a free State.
Good idea. Most everything has pro and cons.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
It is proven technology that works !
During the night,PGV provides most of the power for the entire island.The photovoltaic arrays don't work during the night .
The oil burning plants can be throttled back and we burn less oil !
How 'bout extended possible benefits aside from basic electrical production, say hydrogen production? Cheap automotive fuel for the 4 stroke ICE, reducing the islands dependency on gasoline?
What about exporting other possible products processed with geothermal energy, iron as possible second example?
Are there any other minerals contained within the soils or ocean water here that can be utilized if the energy necessary to extract them is made available?
Can such processing be done in such a way that it becomes beneficial to the island and if so what ways can it be beneficial?

Keeping within reason though initially seeming far fetched is another possibility. With an abundant supply of hydrogen as fuel; is it possible to melt basalt and form roadways, free from common roadway toxins? Did you know iron can be melted via electromagnetic fields and because lava contains iron, it can also be melted via electromagnetic fields? Can any of the above lead to a cleaner Hawaii?
What's the above have to do with Geothermal energy? Geothermal energy can create electricity, that electricity can be used in electrolysis of water disassociating (H2O/water) Hydrogen from Oxygen. The common gasoline 4 stroke engine can be converted to use hydrogen gas with a simple conversion kit. The hydrogen can also be used in electrical generators for use in mobile applications where electricity might be utilized. But none of that is financially possible unless geothermal energy rights are taken seriously and claimed by the people.

"Helco keeps trying to tie its cost to the cost of oil."

That is because legislators said when pricing geothermal, they had too they were not given a choice. They have been trying to untie it, but it takes legislation being passed.

http://www.hawaii247.com/2013/02/28/helc...al-energy/
GEO - Good thing for all concerned - if properly constructed.

Building it at Pohoiki - Dumbest idea that one could ever imagine!

quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

Keeping within reason though initially seeming far fetched is another possibility. With an abundant supply of hydrogen as fuel; is it possible to melt basalt and form roadways, free from common roadway toxins? Did you know iron can be melted via electromagnetic fields and because lava contains iron, it can also be melted via electromagnetic fields? Can any of the above lead to a cleaner Hawaii?
What's the above have to do with Geothermal energy? Geothermal energy can create electricity, that electricity can be used in electrolysis of water disassociating (H2O/water) Hydrogen from Oxygen. The common gasoline 4 stroke engine can be converted to use hydrogen gas with a simple conversion kit. The hydrogen can also be used in electrical generators for use in mobile applications where electricity might be utilized. But none of that is financially possible unless geothermal energy rights are taken seriously and claimed by the people.

Sorry (dragon), my response is "ditto", to this statement. Well said.
Also "ditto" to we in Puna should get lower rates being the host community, and we need competition for PGV/ORMAT. Go IDG!!!

JMO.
One thing I have to say about this in particular is that I know there is that fund set up for evacuation which has been twisted for "benevolent" use, but seriously shouldn't these kind of projects have more direct benefits like a rebate on a certain area (like Puna's) electric bills of some sort since Puna bears all consequences for a very local resource? We should see cheaper electric as I would hope folks at the Niagra Falls or Tennessee Valley Authority or similiar ventures I would hope would see. I am not opposed to any company making a profit but locals should be able to gain from use of local resources. Shouldn't we pay cheaper rates for electicity if it is home grown or have this venture add significant revnue to our tax base? Where I grew up as a kid there was a nuclear plant that everyone hated but the town that housed the plant raked in crazy tax revenue and the schools in particular made out like bandits with ridiculous luxuries at the time. I know things are more state centric here generally but I wonder such little gain from this for having this in our backyard. If I am wrong (and perhaps I am) please educate me.
[/quote]
Whats wrong with Pohoiki? NIMBY? Its got to go somewhere!
[/quote]

How about your backyard? You may even get a property tax credit!