Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juvenile Crime, Expenditures $190,000 per kid

Who would of ever guessed that our State spends $190.000.00 per child, per year, to have a child in a correctional center? Well, Neil is going to try and cut the cost for taxpayers.

“It costs a tremendous amount of money to put juvenile offenders into state custody,” said Gov. Abercrombie “We need to take a hard look at our data, find better outcomes, and identify more cost effective ways to handle our juvenile offenders.”

Many of the youth suffer from substance abuse addiction, mental health issues and family dysfunction. A significant number are in custody due to the lack of accessible treatment services and programs, especially on the neighbor islands. Each commitment placement costs taxpayers more than $190,000 per year, per youth (averaging 60 youth per year). Despite this substantial cost, the majority juvenile offenders who exit the state’s correctional facilities reoffend and return within three years.
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=71462e6edb79c23595f73fe38&id=2b657edcef&e=13297f8376

Prevention options:[^]
The office cooperates with other federal agencies on special projects. For example, it formed the National Gang Center along with the Office of Justice Programs (OJP) and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA). The OJJDP has the National Youth Gang Center linked through the National Gang Center.[1] Are these programs being used in our schools?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_J...Prevention
maybe the price tag has something to do with the fact that the majority become repeat offenders. must just be "too"nice and they want to return. treat them like they did something bad, and it wouldnt cost so much. turn off their computers, tvs, etc and give them library books...
Incarceration is a multi-billion-dollar industry.

If the offenders were actually "rehabilitated", that flood of money dries up.

Where's the incentive in that?
Put 'em to work, I need some lava rock walls built.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I had to read that twice - yup 160k per year....

starting teachers make 33k

if I were king - grin

we could pay for 4 teachers (160 hrs per week) per child to keep him / her on the straight and narrow while doing any remedial education to bring them up to level (assumption here) and still save almost 20%

That's an insane amount of money. What portion of that is for the prison guards union? I wonder what guards make and where the money is going..this is sick.
I could be wrong in this instance but I've never known guards to be over paid. Probably more administrative and bureaucratic bloat. Plus I'm sure the State over paid for any physical facility.

As far as juvi workers in general, it's been my experience that the combination of low pay and crappy working conditions results in most juvi workers being scraped from the bottom of the barrel and being marginal at their jobs, at best. For a juvi worker to be an intelligent, effective worker dedicated to doing a good job and doing the best for both the State and the juvies it requires someone with the heart and attitude of a missionary, and those usually don't last long due to burnout.

I'm not familiar with exactly how screwed Hawaii might be due to out of control unions and bureaucracy so I could be wrong. In most places my above statements are correct.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
scratch that teacher idea...... http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/23158...rafficking