Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
internet in hpp?
i live on makuu and 13th, have been trying to get internet with no luck. hawaiann telcom, oceanic, and dish all say no. virgin mobile hotspots dont get coverage here. how can i get internet???? this is very frustrating to have neighbors a few blocks away with internet but the same company cant service me for some reason. any suggestions?
We live on 13th closer to Paradise and my Verizon wireless hotspot tethering is nearly as fast as my hawaiiantelcom dsl. Just another option don't know if you if you have a wireless carrier with a good signal at your location.
HiTel has a limited set of bandwidth and you need to call them and get on their wait list, unfortunately. Oceanic was down to around 17th or so last I checked.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
Oceanic also down below you on Paradise Ala Kai.
Interesting that it is not on 13th. Guess they did the top and bottom of HPP and not the middle.
I love cable, no broadband and no dish. Hope it comes your way soon.
hawaiideborah
I use Verizon Mobile. It ought to be available where you are (if Verizon cell phones work where you are it should be available) but it's not cheap and there's a limit to the amount you can download each month (5 or 10 GB a month - downloading movies is not an option). It's also nowhere near as quick as cable but usable for most things. $50-60 a month. Just suggesting this if you're really desperate.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Oceanic (and Telcom, for that matter) have an exclusive franchise.

They need to either serve customers or lose their monopoly.
TWC is not a non-profit business. They are in the business to make money. It doesn't make sense to spend $100,000 to build out to someone that will pay them $50 - $100 a month. They have requirements that they HAVE to build to an area once it reaches 25 homes per mile.

TWC does not receive money from the government to supply service to remote areas. However, HT does. HT should have to provide service to people in subdivisions as they receive money from the government and various fees that are charged on existing customer's bills. HT is a utility and is granted easements and receive funds that TWC does not and is not granted.
Telcom receives these "easements" and "funds" but is only "obligated" to provide "dialtone", not any kind of "broadband".

Oceanic is theoretically "required" to meet some service level, but in practice they "don't care" -- but existing customers can expect a rate increase (any minute now) after the latest KGMB ransomfest.

Living in Puna mostly means adapting to the lack of these things.
Aloha Broadband is still looking for repeater hosts in HPP...

http://alohabroadband.com/coverage

Looks like boots may be on the edge of their coverage right now:

http://alohabroadband.com/wp-content/upl...ge_hpp.jpg

Recently, _they_ called _us_ and said they noticed our signal was degraded, came over with a new antennae and fixed us right up. Unbelievable service. Happy customer here.

Cheers,
Kirt
And what would one need to be a repeater host?

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!