Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ambulance to Pohoiki
My family and I were surfing Pohoiki last Sunday when Ulu Boy was bitten. Being mid-day on a beautiful sunny day, the place was pretty full. Instantly the scene became a surge of people: gawkers, helpers, tourists, locals...all awash in some unique emotions. It was difficult to judge time but I and others wondered where was the ambulance?

Maybe no one dialed 911 (unlikely). Maybe the ambulance was on a mission already. I have read it took 19 minutes and 45 minutes. I estimate over 30 minutes. The crew seemed calm and competent when they got there.

Can anyone provide the factual background? When was the call made, how long was the response time and, if it was delayed, why? I am not blaming or accusing anyone. Just want an idea of response time if I, my family or anyone else is injured and has to make a critical decision.
Don't know the details of the shark attack response, although they transferred to medevac fairly quickly.

The general situation is we are screwed if we have a serious medical problem south of Pahoa. Not sure about the emergency response at the new police station but that is why you see these ambulances going up and down Hwy 130. It is the only road to south Puna and the ambulances are coming from the Hilo hospital. If you follow all the tourists that somehow get into the water from Lighthouse point and south, if they survive, usually have a medevac come out but the medevac can't land anywhere, usually picking the closest open public park. And when it comes to more serious medical problems like a heart attack, there is no heart surgeon on this island, the closest one is Maui, so they medevac. Apparently, that medevac costs $35,000. Anyway, try to stay safe and healthy.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I do not know the particulars of that day but
Dispatch probably takes about 5 min. ( national average )
Then drive from pahoa in a top heavy truck( they are not sports cars )thats another 20 maybe
the pahoa station covers what 20,000 plus people so they are very busy.so if they got to come from keaau add another 10 ,if their busy add another 10 from hilo.
it adds up, and minutes seam like hours when someone bleeding
So, I'm wondering why they didn't land the medivac copter right there at Issac Hale-there's plenty of room.
Expecting rapid ambulance response when you're way out in the country anywhere is unrealistic.

life is short. enjoy it
life is short. enjoy it
The Pahoa EMT's are among the busiest on the Island. Only Hilo Central has a similar workload with less area to cover. I'm thankful that the attack occured at Pohoiki and not a more isolated spot like Halape.....
I'm also hugely impressed By Dallas for going immediately after Uluboi.
I agree with 4antares...expecting rapid ambulance response when you're way out in the country anywhere is unrealistic.

Even if it took 45 minutes...or an hour...no reason for anyone to complain about it. It is what it is...best not to sit there and wait for aid. One option would have been to load the victim into the back of a car or truck and get moving to the nearest open medical facility where trained staff and equipment await.

---
http://www.RealEstateHawaiiBigIsland.com/
---
I know you wrote that you were not complaining, but it sure sounds like you were at least a bit irritated about how long it took took to get help.

If the ambulance did indeed arrive in only 19 minutes 45 seconds (is someone really counting seconds?), it must have had wings!

Sending a helicopter out on every medical emergency costs megabucks that Hawaii County does not have and presumably neither does the injured party.

Just thank God help is on the way. The Big Island is a huge place 99% rural with only narrow highways connecting the beaches and communities where many people live and play.

It would also help if more people took the Red Cross Medical Emergency course offered in Hilo. Its around $100, but the life it may save might be some one in your family or a close friend.

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
quote:
Originally posted by Cagary

Sending a helicopter out on every medical emergency costs megabucks that Hawaii County does not have...
Hmnn... they sure seem to come up with chopper money somehow, for much more irrelevant things than emergencies.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
No, the "green harvest" choppers are State-operated with Federal dollars.

County can't even find enough money to maintain the "public" roads.