Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colonoscopy
I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy in Hilo in a couple weeks.
Seems a little scary to me.
Anybody had one with Dr. Montell.
Any tips or information for me?
I had one with Dr. Montell. Don't be scared. The office is well run and you are asleep for the procedure. Painless. I don't know if you are paying for this out of pocket or not. Do be aware that the procedure bills separately for any tests that are done if they remove anything. Those tests can cost more than the colonoscopy.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Thanks Rob,
I am sort of freaking myself out.
You will have to drink a prep. Probably MagCitrate or "Go lightly". This will involve quite a bit of drinking a fairly disgusting tasting, salty liquid. Get a straw and some ice, so that it is very cold. You will need to be at home because it will make you quite sick and make you use the bathroom a lot. IF you have anxiety problems, definately ask for a quarter or half mg of ativan, just to get throught the prep. YOu might be up that night using the bathroom before you go into the office in the morning. (that's how they are normally scheduled, anyhow) Try to have another person in the house with you, that you trust. If you have BP problems, I'd probably be monitoring that, since you are potentially messing with your electrolytes due to the prep. GL. I've heard they are horrid, but it is worth it and everyone should be doing this as recommended by their physician.
Dr. Montell is my hero! I had to deal with a not normal colonoscopy within 6 months of moving here and then went every year for 5 years. He makes a difficult process as painless as possible.

You are in good hands with him, his office and bedside manner are excellent and he knows his stuff.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
nani, I wouldn't take what Julie says as "gospel". Myself and many others I know did not have the reactions she describes (the "quite sick" part). But do not go further than 10 feet from the bathroom! Two of us started our cleansing drinks at 4PM and were done with the discomfort of very frequent trips to the "loo" by 10PM. Slept all night and fine in the morning for the procedure. I did not have mine here so can't give testimony to local docs.
Don't fret, you'll be fine. And be sure you have a driver who can take you home!

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
I think Julie gave you a worst-case scenario. The prep routine isn't like a day at the carnival, but you take the stuff and the you spend lots of quality time in the bathroom. You might want to invest in the softest toilet paper you can fine, and maybe some aloe wipes. The proedure itself is a piece of cake. And just remember, while this your first time, it's not the staff's first time. And remember, too, that they chose this line of work, so no need to feel embarassed. This is an important and valuable test, so you'll be glad you had it done.
Not as described by UKJ but would be much better with one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GoBidet-Add-O...hX_0tLXLoI

The actual procedure is a non-event. The prep is the unpleasant part due to the frequent and very numerous bathroom trips. The prep solution doesn't taste good but it's not too bad. I've had a couple of them. My experience also supports Rob's statement on the billing. I have no experience with your doctor.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I had one three years ago and even the prep didn't bother me. I looked at it as a time "to catch up on my reading".....
The procedure isn't a big deal and there was no pain. Mine was not done in Hawaii, but I imagine yours should be similar.
Oh, you do get some nifty souvenir pics of your insides!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/11/42...colon.html

Dave Barry's experience