Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Geothermal
Hey can anyone bring me up to speed on this topic? Looking at leilani real estate.....
I think PGV is looking at drilling dozens of new wells up and down 130/132. I'm guessing that would have some sort of effect on Leilani.
I'd be more worried about the crime in Leilani than the effects of PGV. At this point.

If PGV/ORMAT would spend the money and mitigate both health concerns and noise concerns, (especially since the plant is old) the plant should not be an issue. There is technology available to address public concerns (especially the noise issue), getting PGV/ORMAT to spend the money on it is another thing.

rainyjim, that rumor has been around for years, and carries little weight. "Dozens of new wells"? Seriously? The permits have not been pulled for such a feat, nor even applied for. Facts, please, if you have them. Where did you get that information? TIA

The Mayor should hold another meeting in Puna to address this geothermal development expansion as he promised, (prior to his re-election).

JMO.
Ask PGV, I don't work for them or have any association.
quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

Ask PGV, I don't work for them or have any association.

I did, several times over the past two years. Not true. I asked Lymans, not true. Are you saying PGV stated this? ("Ask PGV")

We need to deal with facts, not fiction, rumor, or gossip. This kind of jargon adds to the continued social terrorism, and mass hysteria some are trying to create. JMO.

Again, where did you hear this please? Puna Pono group?

"continued social terrorism"? Let's not get carried away here. Our rogue Government uses false flags, FACT. Is someone out there with a tank of hydrogen sulfide releasing it into the air next to Leilani or threatening to do harm to others? I'm not really sure how disinformation can be considered terrorism unless it's accompanied by actual physical harm to property and people with a furthered propaganda agenda. "Social Terrorism" is like the FBI/CIA committing violent crimes off the books (caught in court several times and its available public information) and pinning the blame on other nations/people to continue the erosion of the Constitution and to justify their role in society or an act like giving kinetic weapons and chemical weapons to Syrian rebels. That's an example of "social terrorism". I don't see rainyjim promoting anything akin thereof.

- Armed citizens provide security of a free State.
Drifting away from the OP's original question. That didn't take long.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Microage97, Go to the lot you're considering and if you hear noise you don't like, don't buy. If you're afraid of what come's out of the volcano, probably better to steer clear of the entire rift. PGV isn't adding anything more than what is already off gassing naturally according to the meters.

EVRYONE on this island gambles when it comes to volcanic activity.

I would say that Leilani is one of the nicer subdivisions with good roads for the most part and a fairly consistent level of home development. It is smack in the rift zone and as such is at higher risk of volcanic impacts. Other subdivisions not too far away have been destroyed. IT has some remarkable jungle areas. It is close to the geothermal plant which concerns some more than others. Drilling noises are a cause of complaint as are fears of venting SO2 from the plant. There is interest on the part of on-island and off-island parties for further geothermal development. The scale and scope of that is to be determined and subject to speculation at this point in time.

As in all things location, location, location will either mitigate for increase one's concerns.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The nearest region of Leilani to the plant is a half mile away and that's the area with few to no houses at the bottom north side. Seriously; how bad can the rare drilling noise be from more than likely a mile or more away? with the helicopter activity I don't see much validity in noise complaints from some rare drilling.