Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrestle mania here in pahoa!
There will be a car wash at Pahoa auto parts this Saturday to help support Pahoa high's wrestling team. This team has grown so much in the last 5 years it's truly amazing to watch the transformation. 5 years ago there were 5 wrestlers who gave everything and left nothing on the mat. Now this years team consists of over 35 boys and girls. With higher hopes of sending record amount of kids to Honolulu for states this year than ever before. Please come on out and meet some of the team and get your car washed this Saturday. There will also be a Takedown tournament and wrestling clinic later this month at Pahoa high before the season gets started. I believe Pahoa may have the best team on the island this year but we will wait and see. All of this is because of great kids AND great coaches that have come together. so come on out and join the spirit this year.
Well the wrestling season looks to be a good one for our Pahoa kids. This past Saturday had a pre-season tournament at KAM school, where Pahoa flat out dominated. Many of Pahoa's kids went 3-0 on their matches, with just about all of them recording at least one win. This Saturday also has a meet in Kona so a few will be taking the trip. I say a few because Pahoa's only transportation is one very ran down health hazard, they call a van. On top of that their is a $15 dollar entry fee to wrestle, That alone should cut the team in half this weekend. ONE other note worth knowing is that the left over balance this team had from last year surprisingly came up missing, over $1,000 was taken from this team. What is really sad is the kids worked very hard on those car washes to raise that, and the communities support has gone for not yet again. For the first time in many years Pahoa is blessed with many great kids, who happen to be good at wrestling too. I sure would like to see them get the same opportunities as other programs.
A few corrections and updates here: Kealekehe did a great job holding their pre-season tourney on Saturday. Had about 6 teams from around the big island with wrestlers at all weight classes. There was not a $15 entry fee after all, MY BAD. The $15 entry fee is this Saturday at Wiakea, I am hearing about some nice medals for the winners next week though. There is a car wash today from 8:00 a.m to 2:00 p.m at the same location (Pahoa auto parts). This Pahoa team is looking well balanced and eager for what ever this season may bring. The $1000 dollars taken from them may hurt them later in the season, if many end up reaching states?. But for now the team is handling and just taking care of business. Please come on out and have your car washed Today, maybe take the short ride to Wiakea next Saturday too. The kids love the support. Thanks again.
The season has started out with a bang. The Dagger boys look to continue their winning ways today in Kona, Then they host next Saturday at Pahoa. Pahoa does not get any recognition from the hilo tribune, but they don't need it either. Other programs like H.P.A, Wiakea, or Kealekehe get the weekly press, yet the daggers have a goal. The Dagger goal this year is to win the team title and send at least 6-8 kids to states. The boys who have a shot this year of going to states are, Reed, Noah, Hoku, Zach, T.J, Kobe, Uriel, and a few more. The girls look to continue a very strong season as well, with a couple that may have a shot to go to states too. Next week SATURDAY here in Pahoa would be a good time to get out and show some Dagger pride for these kids would love some community support. Mahalo.
So how does $1000 go "missing" or get "taken"? More importantly, will this situation happen again? This pisses me off to no end. How do I know any money I donate will stay with the team this time?

Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
quote:
So how does $1000 go "missing" or get "taken"?

Same as with the Pop Warner monies; there's enough friends and relatives woven through the system that some things just aren't investigated. "Oh, we lost it."
I understanding a family protecting their "black" sheep, that happens. But then the money gets found rather quickly in those kinds of cases...
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
D2k, I don't know a lot about the missing $$. The coaches had given an envelope of 1,000 to the office that was to go towards the wrestlers shirts this year. The office cant find it, and the coaches say they gave it, so what can be done now?. The kids AND coaches have been working extra hard to make up for this, tomorrow there will be another car wash. This Monday the 20th of January between 8a.m- 2p.m The team will be out working hard with their winning attitudes wanting to wash your cars.
Yesterday was a long and very tiring day for these kids bused to kona and back, by-passing all the great surf to put in great efforts on the mats. Pahoa girls really did well yesterday, most of the girls now have a good shot to go states. For the guys, well Reed, Hoku, Noah, and Uriel went 3-0 while a few more like Zach, Kobe, and Shy went 2-1 for their efforts. Next week Saturday Pahoa is hosting all east side schools in a duel style match. This should be lots of fun for all the kids and it should be entertaining and exciting for fans too. Most of these wrestlers carry very high G.P.A's to go with their skills on the mat, very impressive. The Dagger Wrestling has come so far the last few years we as a community need to recognize there efforts. Pahoa has no Football, no soccer, no Golf, Well this list could go on and on for Pahoa offers next to nothing for their kieki. This year they may cancel Track and field as well, and the Basketball teams are having a down year too. So the Wrestling program is one of the best options for these kids both girls and boys to build character, pride, respect, or just have the chance to socialize with others. I hope some of you can get out next Sat and spend some time at our new gym and be entertained by these fine scholar athletes. GO DAGGERS.
Thought I might chime in and give the punaweb community an update. Today Pahoa hosted a wrestling event with all east side schools present. The meet was a dual meet setup, so most schools had an opportunity to go head to head with others on this side. OUR Pahoa Daggers faced and beat hilo in the opening round to a score of 48-12. The second round pitted Waiakea against Pahoa, The score was much closer this time with Pahoa winning 28-24. This helped Pahoa into the third and final match against Kamehameha, Again the wrestling was very good and the final score proves it. Pahoa outlasted Kam 39-36, with the match of the day going to David Alphapada who battled back to pin his opponent in a very tough match. It was a beautiful morning in Pahoa that also turned out to be a winning day for Pahoa and its wrestling team. The new gym looked great, and could have looked even better with A FEW less seats available. It was really nice to see the smiles and satisfaction on some of these kids faces as they walked out of their new gym winners today. (Thanks Pahoa). P.S. If you happen to miss the matches today, there will be matches next Saturday at the Hilo Armory, then Waiakea the next Saturday (feb-8th). B.I.I.F,S Will be at Keaau high Saturday feb 15th to decide who goes to Oahu and represents our big island.
DAGGER UPDATE; This Saturday at Keaau high school 10 A.M (B.I.I.F Wrestling). Pahoa has its team ready for a solid showing, The kids feel like this is close to their back yard or turf(Keaau). The team has finished the season strong, now they look to capture a team title and send as many kids to state as possible. Should be an exciting Saturday so feel free to stop by and support Pahoa and all east side schools 10-4 p.m.