Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"American Jungle"
Anyone else watching this load of ____? It's like a train wreck I can't stop looking at...
I watched it, since I don't know much about the Hawaiian culture of hunting and game trail/territory "ownership", I can't say whether or not it's "correct". I was waiting for a big fight between the two clans over that hog.
I would love to know what was "wrong" with it, tho'.
Looks like it was filmed mostly in wao kele o' puna forest reserve? I thought at first it was maybe Kapoho or Waa waa, but the ferns didn't look "right". The "outsiders" were N.W. of Hilo as far as I could tell.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
In this day and age of mindless reality tv, I would not be surprised if this becomes a hit.
I've only been hunting for a few years on this island and from what I have noticed, the majority of the hunters are very respectful to each other and follow all hunting regulations. There are a small percentage of hunters who poach, trespass, vandalize and leave litter behind and do not represent well. As for the TV show, I have not run into any clans in public hunting areas who are violent or territorial.

Aloha!
Aloha!
From Dog The Bounty Hunter to Bungle in the Jungle: The Hog Hunter.
It'll either scare the tourists away, or bring in a whole new demographic.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I thought it turned out very well. Not an exact representation of what goes on out there but produced to hold many viewers attention and a colorful mix of characters that really are out there putting meat in their freezers. If you know some of these families (clans)and how they live their lives, well.. they are not actors.
There will be eight or nine episodes all filmed on the island. If you think the first episode was something, keep watching...it gets better as it goes on!
It should be made clear this is not a "reality" show whatsoever. This is more like "Survivor" and a scripted, inaccurate portrayal of Hawai'i and our hunters. Not impressed. At all.

We don't have "clans" for God's sake. Nor do our hunters act and behave like these people who are trying to be actors. Almost downright insulting as a kanaka maoli.

If it brings money to these people, more power to them. Just don't appreciate the inaccurate cultural representation without clarification (ie. "NOT a reality show"). JMO.
Don't worry opihikao, before long life will probably imitate "art?" and it will become reality.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I have not seen it... but I can only imagine... America loves "DRAMA" if there isn't any it's boring the they start to turn the channel. What's next will they show em going out in the bush all amped up on meth or something?

Sad ... I refuse to watch tv. I thought about getting dish again and even getting an antenna but... I don't want to take the programming. I seem to be a lot happier not watching the programming.
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

I have not seen it... but I can only imagine... America loves "DRAMA" if there isn't any it's boring the they start to turn the channel. What's next will they show em going out in the bush all amped up on meth or something?

Sad ... I refuse to watch tv. I thought about getting dish again and even getting an antenna but... I don't want to take the programming. I seem to be a lot happier not watching the programming.

second that...haven't watched tv in 10 years...could not be happier