Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Geckos Eat Fire Ants?
Over the last couple months, I've noticed a large increase in geckos on my property, and a large decrease in fire ants. I was thinking they might be related, but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
they dont on purpose IMO, but I watch my Phelsuma laticauda geckos snap at the rows of the electric ants at times climbing the heliconias... Ive also seen them get bit and brush them off their body if they run across the rows of ants.
The geckos will reproduce fast especially below 1000' where its warmer... The will usually go after fruit flies, glasswing flies, and yellowjackets far more aggressively than an ant though, so aim more for those bugs. PS they also like bananas
We have a couple dozen around my house at 1,250' in HA on the plants that we watch daily from the lanai

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
The geckos eat bananas?
No, geckos like to recline on bananas and then eat little flies and insects that bananas attract.
The geckos and anoles at my house love any fruit that is put out for them. Really like papaya.

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

They also go after spiders. I've seen them really jumping for spiders. They are fun to watch. I probably have a dozen of each gold day dust gecho's and Anoles and countless of those black lizards in the grass.

I have lot's of lizard crap that I have to sweep up 2-3X a week. But I figure the crap is the bugs they are eating so..... Would rather see the poop than the bugs I'm thinking. They do a nice job. Sometimes I'll throw out a bowl of papaya and banana skins on the deck for a day so that the fruit flies can come and the lizards can have some fun. Smile They are fun to watch!

I've never seen them eat a fireant but would be nice if they did. More reason to keep them around. Just keep the cats away. Cats love chase and eat them.
Never seen them eat fire ants but I have seen them lay down on a little black ant trail and open their mouth and let the ants go marching in. Had one who did this every day for weeks. Easiest meal he ever ate and enough ants to be filling. Seems possible they might like LFAs too.

life is short. enjoy it
life is short. enjoy it
quote:
Originally posted by Justin

Over the last couple months, I've noticed a large increase in geckos on my property, and a large decrease in fire ants. I was thinking they might be related, but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

My guess is that the cooler temperatures and rain (last few days excepted) have more to do with the reduction in fire ants. Or has another ant species moved in?
No other ants have moved in - thank goodness. I've noticed far fewer ants, far fewer mongoose(s), way more geckos, way more birds. I'm liking the changes. I hope they continue.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present